ignition switch

I just bought a 1966 vw beetle with no key,. How do I replace the tumbler assembly with a new one? thanks Tom

Reply to
Timothy Grimm

Remove it, take it to a lock smith?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Fortunately, that ignition is a common item. New, complete lock w/switch is readily available.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I believe that by 66 the ignition and door keys were the same. It's fairly easy to remove the door cylinder and get the key code off of it. From this number, a locksmith can make you a key. That's a LOT easier and cheaper than replacing the cylinder.

Just take the cylinder in to the locksmith. This needs to be a REAL locksmith, not just a hardware store that can copy keys.

-

Jim Adney