Interesting new bolt-on oil filter

?product_id=573&zw=items

Just too bad it isn't full-flow, as it only filters the oil that goes through the oil cooler. Not all of the oil does.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Looks like a pretty good idea to me even if it doesn't get all of the oil. Much better than the stock oil screen anyway. Andy

?product_id=573&zw=items>

Reply to
Busman

Costs way too much. I got my new cooler and oil filter adpt. on eBay for

60.00 and it works like champ. The cooler goes in front of the fan and the filter I installed in the curved area on the left side of the body, very easy to get to. Oil temp runs at 220 to 240 deg. and adds about 1 1/2 qt's of oil to the system. Only bad thing is that you will have to pull the engine but mine was already out when I installed it.

?product_id=573&zw=items>

Reply to
Packrat46

Nothing new here. This product and the modifications required was the subject of an article in one of the VW mags some 4 or 5 years ago. Didn't really catch on and these are no substitute for a proper full-flow install.

RT

Reply to
Raymond T. Lowe

?product_id=573&zw=items>>

Never ever place an oil cooler in front of the fan!!!! Cardinal sin numero uno...

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

?product_id=573&zw=items >>>

Agreed... yank it out and place it over/next to the transmission and use an electric fan if it needs more airflow through it.

Your oil temp measurements tell you nothing, you managed to cool the OIL but in the process you made the ENGINE run hotter! (Depriving it of cool cooling air)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I installed one of these on my 1973 Beetle a few years ago. The sump plate is always a lot cleaner when I remove it than when I did not have one of these oil coller oil filters.

The only problem I ever had with it was once when I removed he oil filter, the threaded fitting came off a few years ago. I re installed the fitting with red Loctite and have not had a problem with the fitting coming off since.

It does not make the engine run hotter or restrict oil flow. Although it only filters most of the oil only when the engine is warm, it is better than having a filter/pump type of oil filter that over heats the oil from the hot air coming out underneath.

Yes it is better than hav> Looks like a pretty good idea to me even if it doesn't get all of the oil.

?product_id=573&zw=items> >

Reply to
Jim347a