IRS Rear Disc conversion article up

The good news: Added a new tech article to my page:

It details the installof CB's "race strength" rear disc conversion (which I purchased atwww.aircooled.net). I haven't had a chance to read back through the articlethoroughly, so it may need a bit more work. The crappy news: Got rear-ended on Tuesday by a volvo. The rear baja bumper protected the engine, but there's a fair amount of damage that needs to be fixed. The custom lower bumper mounts are ruined, the lower tubes on the bumper are ruined, and the firewall got bent (since the upper braces bolt to the firewall). Still investigating for more damage.

--Eric

BugMan

Bummer. That always a fear of mine. There's just nothing you can do about that guy behind you.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Cool tech article! Might I make the suggestion to loosen the rear axle nuts before you even take the wheel off, or even jack up the car. Then you don't need to use the angle iron to brace the drum and keep it from turning; the weight of the car and e-brake does a nice job of that. Besides, if you try to loosen the rear axle nuts while the car is on jackstands, you could knock it down with the force that must be applied. The last time I removed my axle nuts to do a rear brake job, I had to use a breaker bar six feet long.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

The problem is that if you want to remove the brake drums because your brakes shoes are worn, the effect of the brakes is not going to stop the wheel from turning with the torque you have to apply to loose the axel nut. I´ve done that, and at the end I was just moving the car with the torque I applied to the nut, regardless the ebrake.

Ant

Anth> Cool tech article! Might I make the suggestion to loosen the rear

Reply to
Ant

On Fri, 07 May 2004 05:15:48 GMT, "BugMan" ran around screaming and yelling:

excellent Eric...i will be doing this conversion this summer...i don't have the "race strength" kit though...i have the "roto hub" kit...install should be basically the same....anywho thanks for the article and sorry to hear you got wacked...i too have rear body damage from a "light' collision last july...should be fixing that also this summer() JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Oh I see. Well, I chocked all the wheels, and that prevented me from rolling the car forward or backward wheel loosening the nuts. I'm just weary of loosening any super-high torque nuts while the car is on jack stands.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I've never had any probs knocking the car off of jackstands... A 6ft breaker bar? How tight was the nut?

--Eric

BugMan

I have no idea how tight that nut was, but I was not the last person to put it on; the shop I bought the car from was! They probably used an impact wrench on it. Yeah, I had to hang on the bar about 4 feet out...I weigh 165 pounds, so....165X4=660. So you could say it was about 660 ft/lb....at LEAST!

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

On 9 May 2004 08:57:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Anthony) ran around screaming and yelling:

rust and corrosion will also make the nut feel tighter than it really is....i have *NEVER* had a problem getting an axle nut off...never even broke a breakerbar...you guys go about it the wrong way...don't "push" pull....no long bars needed... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani