No Oil Filter???

John :)

Hope you don't take this as arguing. I'm curious to hear your comments on my views

You are mixing two different things again. Airflow and pressure.

How can it go back into the engine, when there's the carburator suckin all the air in? And by your description, the tube would be already flowing case air OUT?

For just pressure relief purposes this would be just great. But I don't see any air going backweards in that single tube while the engine is running. The air filter would have to be pressurised, yet during engine operation, it always has vacuum if anything.

You'd prolly get oil leaks. Which would be due to inadequate pressure relief. Duhh.

Doesn't have any (well, minimal) effect on case air circulation, i.e. venting.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

it flows both ways in that tube Jan. It flows from crankcase to air filter when the crankcase is pressurized (when the engine is making power), but it flows the OTHER WAY during high vacuum decelleration (downshifting). That's why it's important that hose is connected on the filtered side of the air filter. Our engines don't have that PCV valve which prevents flow one-way.

this isn't arguing, it's discussion. :-D

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

[one idea propounded snipped]
[rejoinder snipped]

To the best of my tiny ability, I want to summarize the two thoughts on this ventilation discussion, remembering that this branch of the thread started when I said that after I put a good oil filter on the Wonderbus's engine, I would not need to change oil as frequently. My mistake was corrected when it was pointed out that there is a sufficiently large opening behind the pulley to allow a lot of contaminants to be pulled into the case. Using a sand seal, the pulley end of the crankshaft can be sealed to keep this crud out. Now we have a case that has only one real opening: the hose leading up to the carb side of the oil cleaner/filter.

Viewpoint 1: The "that's all that is required," view. Water vapor and blow-by will all vent out of the crankcase into the carb to be burned naturally. No additional inlet is created to provide flow into the crankcase. Now you're good to go with fewer oil changes.

Viewpoint 2: The "you want to have flow" view. This view says that the single opening at the top of the case is insufficient to draw all the evil fumes out from the case. To assure complete ventilation, an inlet into the case needs to be provided to replace the one the sand seal closed off. This inlet wants to be filtered.

Sidebar: Additional outlets from the case, in the valve covers, have been suggested. In Viewpoint 1, I reckon some fumes would be drawn out of the heads in a somewhat lazy fashion; in Viewpoint 2, a faster flow might be expected, as there is an easy source of outside air to replace the fumes leaving the heads.

I can easily see how providing an inlet of filtered air into the case would increase flow. But getting carried away and doing more than is needed to accomplish the job is silly. As Bob Hoover says, I am the Mechanic In Charge of this vehicle. Which, in my case, is like handing a loaded pistol to a chimp.

Anyone else got any thoughts about this inlet needed / not needed discussion?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Sounds like your rings are shot John ;) Either that or you converted to

2-stroke :D

Please explain to me where the vacuum inside the engine case comes from? Reversed blow-by during engine braking or deceleration? That's the only possible channel. Is that enough to overcome the suction of the carburator, inside the air filter, to create airFLOW back into the case? (Granted, there shouldn't be much of VACUUM in the aircleaner, just FLOW.. as the aircleaner itself is wide open to the athmosphere.)

Even with the flaps "closed" (as far as they will close, leaving a gap and idle circuit open for air to get through), there's still quite a bit of suction through the carb.

(you could use the brake booster one-way valve from a baywindow bus....LOL)

I just don't see how you get enough air to enter the otherwise sealed case to make noticeable FLOW possible. In either direction. Pressure pulses are easily relieved through that one hose. It's still not flow.

Good :)

I would already have performed tests with a vac/pressure gauge hooked up to one of my engines, but the damg gauge fell on the floor months ago and broke. ARGH. It would have told me the pressure/vacuum conditions inside the case during normal operation of a non-sand seal engine that was just broken in. (assuming fairly minimal blow-by)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

what is the MAP during decelleration? Is this more or less then the crankcase pressure? Is this more or less then atmospheric pressure?

Hint: MAP and crankcase vacuum are very strong during decelleration, so much so that the engine can suck oil thru worn valve guides, or oil up thru worn rings. Rings seal most, but not all, pressure differential in either direction. Put a gauge on the crankcase, you'll find it goes into a vacuum condition under decelleration, and this would suck air from the air filter into the crankcase. Why else would they have put the vent on the filtered side of the air filter?

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Well, I'm glad they are all doing okay. Still it's a shame about the store. When I moved here there were many stores - Knights, Southern Volks, Red Baron, etc. I do most of my shopping online already so I guess I will be doing a bit more of it that way now.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

As we all know, hot air, and lightweight particles suspended in it, have a natural tendency to travel UPWARDS without assistance. The stock crankcase ventilation system leads more or less straight up from the depths of the crankcase, where the hot air, oil mist and water vapors rummage.

Then there are the pressure pulses pushing and pulling this air mass in the vantilation tract back and forth. My reasoning says that these pulsations pretty much cancel each other out, resulting in almost zero absolute airflow in either direction. For that you'd need a) outside suction, by way of the carburator and air cleaner housing and b) replacement air to enter from someplace else to allow air to really move in the desired direction, in a continuous flow.

Now, even if no replacement air was present, I wonder if the hot air along with the hot water vapors could travel upwards and into the air cleaner ANYWAY, since that's what it would try to do even if there's no other activity in the system (When the engine is turned off). Self-cancelling pulsations, and carb suction added on top of that, and EVEN a marginal pushing effect from blow-by. Hmm. Could it be enough to vent the fumes anyway? Just not as effectively as I would hope, but adequately so anyway.

This still leaves us with John's claim that the "replacement air", or air in general, enters the case the same way it exits it: the same breather hose, only it would o it only when the engine is decelerating. Pistons drawing vacuum but carb butterfly closed.. rings give up and allow crankcase air to slip by, into the cylinder? I understand how this could happen to some extent, but what I keep wondering is is it enough to make a difference, i.e. strong enough vacuum and enough FLOW again to create reverse flow, to make this pillar of hot air in the vent tract travel downwards, AGAINST it's natural path?

One can't but wonder, until one buys another vacuum/pressure gauge to replace the one one stupidly dropped on the garage floor.

in addition one would need a sensitive flow meter installed in the vent hose. Since, as we know, pressure does not equal flow ;)

Jan

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

but that's not what I said. I said that vapor travels both ways in that hose. I never said that hose was the ONLY way air entered the crankcase.

It enters from

entering near the open crankcase pulley, sealed off when you install a sand seal entering thru the breather hose entering by getting past the piston rings.

None of these only allow flow "one-way". Travelling from the filter to the crankcase is not a normal path, it only happens when you decellerate. But it does happen.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

You really need to check out V-Dubfolks in Irving. It has become like a "Knight's" for me. I gladly drive all the way there from Ennis, well worth the trip. Top quality parts... knowledgeable people... very nice and friendly... POR15... Royal Purple... They do installations and modifications... mechanics on staff that don't mind one asking questions. They have tons of business! There is another place in town for parts in Arlington called Black Gold... They are very nice too.... a bit limited, but good quality parts. Those are the only two places I purchase parts from in the metroplex. On occasion you can find great deals at Auto-Zone or O'Reilly's. For example: recently bought a Bosch 12V A/T Starter GERMAN for $55!! Yes, it was rebuilt... BUT it has a Lifetime Warranty (in which to me is just as good as a brand new) V-Dubfolks had the very same one NEW for $95. Since I purchase parts tax exempt, it beats most online places hands down.

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

Of course the vac is strong during deceleration. In the manifold, and in the cylinder. But for it to be seen in the crankcase, the rings would need to leak pretty bad. A healthy engine doesn't burn noticeable amounts of oil during deceleration.

I'm dying to do this. :D

It's not, on the earlier oil bath models. Only on the later paper element models. (oil and the horsehair is the "filter", and from there you only had the internal velocity stack between it and the carburator.. nothing connected to that)

Only on the later paper element models. I tried to run the breather hose on the unfiltered side once, above the paper element. The element got soaked with black motor oil. EWW.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I reckon we can speculate about this all we want. Empirical evidence -- John? -- seems to suggest that things are just hunky-dory when the sand seal is installed and no other inlet provided. Jan reckons that things could be improved upon.

Leaving the measurement of air flow and pressure aside, which don't really prove anything except air flows and pressure exists, the real test would be to monitor the chemical composition of the oil to see if stuff we hope would escape does or does not and is building up in the case. Is there anything else that matters?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Which is the situation we were talking about? Getting replacement air from someplace else when the sand seal was installed.

Ok.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I say it probably is not an issue that would require a dozen or more newsgroup messages and extended debate over it :)

You'll be fine. The most important thing in my opinion will get adequately taken care of: pressure relief.

Precisely.

That could be witnessed by examining the underside of the oil filler CAP for yellowish-white creamy mayonnaise-like substance. That would be water that got mixed with oil and it collected there because it didn't have a path to exit. Or the engine was never allowed to run at it's normal operating temperature long enough for the water to evaporate.

Jan

Is there anything else that matters?

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I've been wondering where the vacuum during deceleration in the crankcase comes from. I didn't know that happened. I can understand the vacuum in the intake manifold during deceleration, but not in the crankcase. I mean the throttle closes so air/fuel isn't dumping into the intake, but the pistons are still going and sucking in what they can through the intake valve on the intake stroke so that would cause vacuum in the intake area. I don't get it for the case, though.

Reply to
Shaggie

You'll like it! Ben is the owner, Kerry is his right hand, Isaiah is the left. Jared is a young 'whipper-snapper' mechanic... but, HE IS VERY GOOD AT IT!!! All I need is to find someone to install my new Top and Headliner (I really don't want to mess with it unless I have to) in the Metroplex that won't RAPE me $$$ wise. DO NOT GO TO 'PISTON & PLUG' in Mesquite. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE! Unless you want your car to get back to you worse than it did in other areas... and IF you have any vintage German parts like: German Hella Tail lights or internal items. You can bet they will be replaced by repro's and sold to someone else for big $$$. Yeah... been there... The place has only value if you are looking for an original fender, deck lid, hoods and such.

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

Don't worry, I planned to investigate V-Dubfolks after seeing you mention it previously. :)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Aw, c'mon -- with very little effort we could keep this discussion alive for a few more days!

Here, lemme show you -- watch a master:

Adding a sand seal to the pulley end of the crankshaft closes off the "inlet" into the case (I am assuming that air generally goes /in/ through the opening and gases vent out through the oil filler vent hose

-- especially during the still-being-discussed vacuum-in-the-case condition). I don't have my engine apart right now, but maybe someone does: how big is the inlet? The cross-sectional area?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
ilambert

Give the man a cigar -- CB Performance finally got back to me and confirmed what you, and others, have said: use the later style. Thanks for the help!

This, I reckon, is a Bob Hoover or Jan kinda question.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

OK, then I won't answer it... :-)

Reply to