OT: Electrical problem

Hi, this is actually a problem on my Citroen 2CV but I think it's kind of a general enough sounding problem. I'd appreciate any advice any of you might be able to offer.

As I was on my way home I noticed that my turn signals weren't working, or at least the clicker wasn't. Then I discovered that the engine seemed on the verge of dying when I turned on my headlights and wipers when it began to rain. My voltmeter then dropped and I started to get scared so I hurried up and raced home. As soon as I got home I turned the car off and it would not restart, not even crank. I then decided to go get away from the pitfalls of owning an 18 year old 2CV and got my normal car and did the rest of my stuff. When I got back to the 2CV it would crank again and it seemed that it wanted to start. I hooked the battery charger up to it and it came right back to life and all the before mentioned electrical items seemed to be operational. I then tried turning the car off and back on and it started as normal. I then decided to drive it to my grandparents (very short distance away) to see what would happen. The car made it fine and I decided to let it idle and after about 5 minutes it conked out and would not restart. I then jumped it to get it home.

Now we are to the present, is this the Alternator going out? Or something totally unrelated? I am new to all this, but I'm trying!

Reply to
Ben Boyle

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:18:14 -0500, "Ben Boyle" ran around screaming and yelling:

sounds like a typical case of the voltage regulator crapping out.....used to have a ford that would do that then when you jumped it with another car it would charge fine....for awhile... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Your charging system is not charging. Do you have a generator or an alternator? It could be whichever you have, or the voltage regulator, or the wiring, or the idiot light, or....

You should probably find someone who knows 2CVs, or charging systems to help you with this. It's not rocket science, but you don't sound very likely to be able to manage this yourself without a lot of help.

No offense intended.

-

Jim Adney

Reply to
Ben Boyle

If leaving it alone for a while makes it start, the battery is fine and still has some charge....

does the alternator light go on when you move the key to 'run' with the engine stopped? if it does not, the alternator wont charge...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Many charging issues are caused by a loose belt.Check that first.

Freddy

Ben Boyle wrote:

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Just when you think you've thought of all the possibilities....

;-)

That was the best solution of all.

-

Jim Adney