OT: Support the VA

For the past 3 years all the major veteran organizations have petitioned congress and the president to provide full funding for the VA because of the backlogs. It now takes 6 to 8 months for an appointment. Well today the administration said they miscalculated how much they needed to keep the doors open this year. Yep they need 1 billion dollars appropriated now and an additional 2 billion dollars for next year just to maintain the level of service we have now. Congress said they would appropriate 900 million right now and several members of congress asked for heads to roll when it was learned that the Bush administration's budget requests had not included any funds for any services provided to wounded and returning soldiers from our war nor had any been provided in the past two years. 80,000 returning troops have been and are being treated this year at the Hospitals and total enrollment is up 50% for the VA since 9/11 however total funds approved over the same period had not taken that into account and was based on three year old data with increases also based on the estimates from over three years ago. I said before and I maintain that not a single person who lives in this country supports our troops unless they support the ones who come home alive......Not just the heroes who are buried. Those who talk tough should be willing to pay for their tough talk if not with their own bodies, then with their dollars. Contact your elected rep tonight and demand full funding for the VA period! I spent several hours at the VA hosp in Des Moines today and they are the best health care professionals. They do more per person all the time and do not frown or complain. Over the years they have saved my life more than once. I volunteered for service when we were at war in the 60's and am very proud of my son who went active Army by choice a few months ago when his country again needed troops. Neither of us support the politics behind what has happened but that is not what patriotic is about. So , no matter what your politics are, support the VA (our troops) and contact your elected officials in Washington and tell them to take the politics out of it and give the VA a 100% funding for the first time in a couple of decades. Thanx Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I think a better idea would be to get rid of VA hospitals and issue each retired military and combat veteran a lifetime health insurance card where the government pays 95% of all medical bills (except cosmetic surgery, sex changes, etc...) forever. My father had VA medical treatment when he was unemployed and I was in grade school. Boy was that a bad deal! I am not impressed with VA doctors.

Reply to
calcerise

..................Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth in what you're saying about the VA system. I could write a long essay on what's wrong with them but it all boils down to the underlying problem of bureaucracy. They don't give timely care and when they do, it's often second rate compared to the average private sector hospital. It's all that's available to a lot of veterans though including one of my brothers. A health insurance card that could be used at any hospital is a good idea.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Bullshit. I've been in the VA Hospital system for 35 years and it is the best. This post is not about better Ideas, it is about supporting our returning troops and veterans.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Ya know, Tim, we have butted virtual heads, but I respect your professional judgment 100%. I may be in your killfile, but maybe someday you will do a Google search and find this post. I'd be proud to work beside you on the job any day. I'll tell you why when it is important.

-- john boy, veteran medic ('64 -70), disabled to a modest extent, shit treatment from the VA, never claimed it, and recently mutilated through a stupid shop accident. :) Peace!

Reply to
johnboy

Dennis, the VA has gotten better, and there are regional differences that range from the terrible to the very good. I was in the very bad sector when I got out on a temporary disability. Hell, the doctors were shit and couldn't even speak English. They got in under some kinda loophole. I was a medic and knew some things they couldn't even dream of.

But it got better. Hope we are okay on this.

Reply to
johnboy

professional

.............I don't do killfiles and I'd be happy to work with you so long as you could stand putting up with me. My co-workers (mostly nurses), say that I've got a lot of attitude.........lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"Tim Rogers" wrote

That's a requirement, IMHO. Thanks for being there.

Reply to
johnboy

Can y'all warn us before the kissing and groping begins so we can look the other way? :-)

Reply to
Shag

I'm ok with you John and the rest of you guys of course. My whole life has been a little out of step with the rest of the herd so you think I would get used to it.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik