OT Web Design

On the internet over the years, we have seen just about everything. Remember when flash was new and impressive. People are hard to impress today. Check out the site at this link. I was impressed by this guys web work although not related to VWs.

Bill Berckman

"That Guy" is the among biggest advertising agencies in the country, and has been for decades.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

The site is very sick but is missing animated flames.. :) (remember the two seconds, right after Al Gore invented the internet, when that was considered cool ?)

Remco

Reply to
remco

Why it is Unique! Inventive! Innovative! UNUSABLE! Why they make it a friggin challenge game to click on a link, I'll never know. Maybe they only want to sell to juveniles.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

I admire what they have done because it is quite responsive, besides being very slick looking. The clicks are seamless and entertaining - very well done. They are in advertising, right? What better way to show off their skills?

Does it make me dizzy? - sure. Can we do the same with bullets and animated flames? - sure, but what would be the fun in that? :)

Remco

Reply to
remco

"remco" wrote

What better way to show that they are more enamored with flash, glitz, and obstructive technology than with being effective for the sake of their clients. It's the worst, most famous trap of advertising agencies and points to the fact that they are full of shit.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

I know an ITS staff of 32 "systems engineers", and not one single one of them have ever seen a command-line. They are a bunch of cripples, willfully ignorant pukes.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

IBM is trying very hard to get us to go from green-screen coding to something called Websphere that requires about a gig of ram and a huge hard drive to run properly. I've never got it to work properly, it just hangs my system. So much for innovation . . . .

Showed my boss how to program in C the other day. He'd never seen C code before. (He started with RPG II and did some III and ILE.)

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Reply to
Funkie

There are a few good guys in the IT department I've dealt with, but you're right: most are scriptkiddie running dorks.

Most are also control freaks, ignorant and are totally humorless: After someone broke into one of my previous company's server (a small company: 35 people or so), our one person IT department spent real money on some stooooopid off the shelf junk to protect themselves. Our president at the time was very proud to announce that all systems are secure after IT's fix - "no way, no how a hacker can get in". So I told them there was no such thing as a secure system and asked if they'd like me to test it. They (IT and him) laughed at me.

They did not laugh when I filled their drive with images of beavis and butthead from the outside and changed the god password. (a simple brute force password cracker got me in in minutes - clueless morons - they couldn't even trace how it was done after I told them).

Never did get along with IT after that... :)

Remco

Reply to
remco

I used to work with VMS (later OpenVMS) systems. As a systems manager (VAX and Alpha systems) and programmer, I never had a break-in or incident in over twelve years, but I knew how to set it up properly. Later I changed jobs and went into applications programming (not system manager) for a DBMS vendor who used OpenVMS, the Vice President of our 2nd party software had "his boys" install his new pride and joy, a secure login, secure application. He had "his boys" set me up as a typical customer, and as he walked out the door to to lunch he said to me, "Break the security if you can." I did it in a minute. He fired me.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

Yeah, they hate to be wrong, don't they?? I love it when they beg to be made a fool of.

This is not an IT story, but at a previous company, some of our software was protected by a USB dongle. When the guy that implemented the security proclaimed it "virtually unbreakable", it was just /screaming/ to be cracked. What was really stupid is that the program generated secure encrypted two D barcodes for use in passports, etc. So it couldn't "fall in the wrong hands", whatever that means..

I told them that I'd try to crack it using tools available to anyone. So used WDASM to patch across the security in about 1/2 hour so it could be installed. After about an hour, I could run the program - All without having access to the source code, nor security dongle. After about another half hour, I patched pictures of beavis and butthead where the company logo used to be. (it took me a while to find the right picture, so that took actually the longest).

All Hell pretty much broke out. What can I say? I like beavis and butthead.. :) They didn't fire me, though..

Good thing we only use our powers for good, huh.. :) Remco

Reply to
remco

Figures.

Someone else that has heard of VMS? Now you're going to tell me you also know what MPE IV was.

The AS/400(now iSeries) is a lot tighter than Windoze, but it does have its weaknesses.

Charles

Reply to
n5hsr

What OS's have you worked with?

I've had to work with:

VMS MPE IV, V, iX S/36 AS/400 from V3R2 up to V5R3 Windows 3.0 up to 2003 Server. Dos 3.2 up. ProDos Mac IX and X.

I'm sure there are at least a couple people here that have worked with the various S/360 operating systems.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

OH thoses days when I used to work with computers !! this thread is bringing back so many memories - I got fired too, for knowing more than the boss was comfortable with !

Seems there are alot of 'geeks' here on ramva ;-)

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

alas my indistry (printed curcuit board design and manufacture) mainly used PC's with MS based os's so I only got to play with dos win3 etc basic unix on a few machines.

From your list I would suggest you look at gentoo

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

WebFear !

I like green screen RPG III thanks very much ! dont have much ILE so haven't got round to it.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Since I learned C in college, ILE is easy to slip into. It has a lot of C-like elements in it. There are a lot of routines that IBM has created already to work with ILE, saves a lot of coding if you know what they are. Also helps standardize results.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Yeah. Will have to try some day, but most of my coding is maintenance work & small routines, easier to copy some other code. :-)

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Let's see: cp/m, mp/m dos - a given. Posix OS2, OS9 Various Unix - given Various versions Linux various versions Solaris all versions windows A bunch of embedded RTOSes (windowCE, PSOS, LYNXos, some home grown stuff).

Right now, most of what I do is CE and window - a lot of embedded device/PC client stuff. (so some ASM for speed, MFC and dotNET)

Reply to
remco