Pitting in bumper chrome

The bumpers of my 62' beetle are pitted and rough in places. I don't want to spend the $ to re-chrome. Does anyone know of a way to smooth the pits and 'fill in' with something shiny that looks decent?

Reply to
pez252

coke (not diet coke but the sugary kind) and a wrinkled wad of tin foil.

Soak the tin foil with coke and start rubbing the bumpers. The foil soon packs tighter so you need to switch to a more loose part of it. It works absolutely great, if the pitting problem isn't too big. (no chunks missing). Doesn't even take a whole lot of pressure.

When it's nice and shiny again, wash it and wax it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It's a good idea to prime and paint the backside of the bumper, too.

Reply to
Two

That's why I only drink wine, beer and water!!!

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

I use never dull on my 73' bumpers. it works pretty good.. takes most of the surface rust off, but the deep down pitted stuff is not so good.. it is however dirt cheap! check it out

it's worth a shot..

Jan Anderss> > The bumpers of my 62' beetle are pitted and rough in places. I don't

That's why I only drink wine, beer and water!!!

João

Reply to
Mike S