re: end of the beetle makes the economist

This article appeared in The Economist, given the recent thread about the end of production in Mexico, I thought I'd pass it along. - DB

THE LAST LOVE BUG JULY 10TH 2003

Finally, it is the end of the (production) line for the Beetle

SOONER or later, it had to come: 21m cars on, the absolute, definitive, final curtain for the Volkswagen Beetle. The Mexico factory of the German car firm has announced that it is to produce the last love-bug later this month. A final, limited edition (retro paint, white tyres and all) comes out on July 10th.

This news may come as a surprise to the rest of the world which, after all, moved on from its fond embrace of the bone-shaking, ear-splitting "people's car" many decades ago. The last Beetle was produced in Europe in 1978. But in Mexico, the holy union between Beetle and people has never been broken. So popular was the VOCHO (as it is known locally) that at one time, says Volkswagen, it accounted for over a third of all cars sold in Mexico. Even today, there are still 80,000 VOCHO taxis on the streets of Mexico City. Add to that 90 or so VOCHO "collectors' clubs" and a magazine, VOCHOMANIA, for bug-lovers.

Cynics suggest that the popularity of the car was a testimony more to the dreadful state of Mexico's roads than to the enduring excellence and smooth gear-changing of the vehicle. Whereas in the rich world the Beetle achieved a more fleeting popularity as the transport of choice for the counter-culture, in a country such as Mexico it was the car's qualities of robustness and reliability that ensured its continuing appeal.

But even the Beetle has now succumbed to market forces. In recent years, production at the giant Volkswagen plant in Puebla, just outside Mexico City, has dwindled to a mere 53 a day. Since 1994 and the start of the North American Free-Trade Agreement, Mexican consumers have been taking full advantage of the greater choice in the car market. General Motors and Ford have been offering cars, for about the same price as a VOCHO, into which one can actually climb and have a civilised conversation over the sound of the engine. Their models also provide air-conditioning without having to take out the windows, and air-cooled engines without removing the back of the car. Even Volkswagen seems slightly perplexed by the longevity of its car, scarcely altered since the first production model of 1937.

As well as the Jetta model, the Puebla plant now produces the "New Beetle". But only 5,000 of these were sold in Mexico last year. Despite the name, Volkswagen says that this car is aimed at a different market from the VOCHO, and most are exported to Europe. The race is open to rear a new generation of Mexicans on a new car. And for the wrinklies who cannot bear to be parted from their bug, the good news is that Volkswagen has pledged to keep producing spare parts for the next ten years.

See this article with graphics and related items at

DB

What the heck did the author mean by saying this?

My bug "air cools" just fine with the back of the car attached. :P

Reply to
Seth Graham

What will Mexico do with all the tooling set up for the old style Beetle? Perhaps another developing country will want to boost it's economy and start making the same small car that has been so good to the other countries that have manufactured it.

Reply to
Masqqqqqqq

Earlier posts on this subject to the group have indicated some of the machinery in use in Mexico is original hardware from Germany, and is quite difficult to use. Not only because of it's age and natural wear, but just being of old design to begin with.

It would be of interest to know though, especially the machines that are used to stamp fenders and hoods.. panels that need replaced quite often and mostly need just a wrench.

Anyone that landed thoses beasts could probably get a decent return selling remakes to restorers.

Reply to
Seth Graham

I very much doubt it. It's a lot easier and cheaper to produce a more "modern" car. The Beetle is quite labour intensive to build, and hard to sell in developing countries.

There was a rumour that the Beetle's production line was going to go to China, but it isn't true. They've just started production of the Austin Maestro (1980's British car) there, built by Estong car company. It'll sell much better than the Beetle could, given today's market.

BTW, there's some good info on

the Beetle'sofficial Mexican site :-)

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

I very much doubt it. It's a lot easier and cheaper to produce a more "modern" car. The Beetle is quite labour intensive to build, and hard to sell in developing countries.

There was a rumour that the Beetle's production line was going to go to China, but it isn't true. They've just started production of the Austin Maestro (1980's British car) there, built by Estong car company. It'll sell much better than the Beetle could, given today's market.

BTW, there's some good info on

the Beetle'sofficial Mexican site :-)

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

There is one VW plant in China already, and they just started building another one. WHAT cars will be produced at the new plant, I don't know.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson