Re: OT Well, it's aircooled...

My friend Scott brought his trike over. Tomorrow he's gonna try to

>come back and we're gonna replace the slave cylinders on his rear >brakes. Check out the pictures! Cool trike! Yes, he let me take it >for a spin!!! > >

Is that a pre-war harley panhead engine?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 14:29:32 -0700, David Gravereaux left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

It's an old Harley engine of some sort. I'll ask him for details tomorrow and let you know.

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

That's a Harley Flathead with the big-fin heads. Nice heads. Super clean engine. Any real miles on it? :) I think it's the 45" engine.

Pre-war? Which war? The little 45" flathead was made up into the sixties for meter maids and Good Humor icecream tricicles, things like that. Looks like the later.

'course, that's not the stock carb. Looks like a Mikuni or Dellorto.

But what do I know?

Reply to
J Stafford

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:59:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net (J Stafford) left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Well, now you know that one of the studs on the oil plate thingie may have a nut on the other side of it. :-O *runs for cover*

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

It's an old Harley engine of some sort.  I'll ask him for details tomorrow and let you know.

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
bugfern

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 14:53:35 GMT, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

fair question

ALERT, ALERT....Tim that is a loaded question....not fair in any state except west virginia....(you already *KNOW* the answer...LOL)_ J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Depends upon the state. In Minnesota all we need is one brake, a horn, a headlight and tail light and brake light. Here - the last Harley I built: wind.winona.edu/~stafford/butcher.html (Yea, I finally added a headlight.)

...and I even retested at the DOT to get my bike license when I moved here. Kinda impressed the testing people. I passed. So did the bike.

Reply to
J Stafford

Tim:

I've never in my over 30 years of riding have seen a drive chain break on a street bike, but then I didn't mess with junk. And I ran an open chain and an open primary belt. Wide open, in front of God and everyone. No problem. 'course, that doesn't mean we should make them that way because to ride something like that takes a certain intelligence that can't be blisterpacked for Joe Wannabe.

Reply to
J Stafford

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:42:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net (J Stafford) left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Mine did on an old Yamaha I used to have...

Oh. But I... Well I... Um... Nevermind. :-)

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 20:32:27 GMT, Gary left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

I saw Scott again today. He came by and we were going to replace the slave cylinders on his rear brakes but the pulley puller I had couldn't grip the drums well enough to pull them off. I mentioned some of the posts including the one about "what would happen if the chain broke?" and he told me it did break on him once before but it just fell and dragged the ground without any drama. He also told me the engine in it is from a '62 police uh...trike. I forget the name he called it. I asked him to email me details about it so I could share them with y'all later. He said the heads are high compression aluminum heads with the deep fins, and that there are only 3 forward gears and a reverse on the bike. He estimates useable top speed to be around 60mph but says it's much more comfortable around 45mph. He also told me he got in a serious wreck on that trike once where the trike actually flipped end-over-end 3 times. He was thrown clear and had a concussion, and tore up his knees and elbows but other than that he was ok. He said right after the accident that he was really mad and he grabbed his helmet and threw it to the ground. It split in half at that point, but it seems it was good he was wearing it since he had a concussion. No telling what would have happened if he wasn't wearing it.

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

Jockey shift with foot clutch!!!!!! Not for the meak. Very NICE ride, very nice!!!!!!!

Troy '74 Baja,

73 Beetle "nice body, pan"

"New Club" "Mid. Ga. Vdubbers"

My Personal site

Troy '74 Baja

But it's on a Trike. He has both feet off the ground, just like a cager.

Reply to
J Stafford

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 08:53:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net (J Stafford) left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Your feet are on the ground when you're driving your car? Who are you, Fred Flintstone? heh heh Spent all your money on the motor and didn't have any left over to replace the pans? :-)

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 10:02:46 -0400, travis left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Oh. Off. Not on. Disregard my idiotic rambling. Gonna be a LOOOONG day.

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

I wrote "off the ground".

Reply to
J Stafford

Just got this from Scott in case anybody is interested in his trike:

The bike is a 1962 Harley Davidson "Servi-Car". I bought it in the 70's at a Police auction for the Lynchberg VA Police department. The engine is a 45" Flathead twin. These Servi-Cars were built from the late 30's till the early 70's. The engine has changed very little over the years. The most significant change was in 63 when they went with a 12 volt electircal sysgtem over the 6 volt. I have installed the all aluminum "high-compression" heads. These heads were popular on the racing versions of this engine. The 2 wheel solo model of this bike was active in raceing untill the British bikes hit the scene in the 60's. So in the 30's through the 50's this bike was utilized a lot for racing. Scott

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 16:41:44 -0400, travis left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

Harley made a 45" flathead up until 73. I have a 73 Harley servi-car.

Shag, I think Jeep made that differential for Harley. Some three wheelers had

80" flatheads too.

Dave in WV Life really is an adventure!

Reply to
Race Willy