Refinishing Vent Wing Frames

I have painted the frames about 4 years ago. Now I'm re*painting my Bug and found rust in the wing frames under the seals. Should the water be draining out of them somehow? Maybe gluing the seals better? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Reply to
Mel P.

found rust in the wing frames under the seals. Should the water be draining out of them somehow? Maybe gluing the seals better? Any thoughts are appreciated.

******** OK: are you talking about rust in the door sheetmetal under the rubber seals, or in the chrome-plated frames the glass is mounted in? If the body, it's a matter of proper prep work & correct application of primer & paint (& not scratching it during the assembly). If the frames, & you want to *paint* them instead of having them re-plated, you need to *completely* grind off the chrome & there again properly prime & paint (BTW I like epoxy primer). In both cases, you can also seal the glass (or rubber) with windshield urethane to eliminate penetration of moisture. Make sure you have the right solvent for clean up whenever you use the urethane as it's impossible to remove after it dries. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver