Removing bus steering wheel

I'm trying to remove the steering wheel on a '62 Single Cab. I've read all the threads I can find. After loosening the nut I've tried pounding on the bottom with a shock resistant hammer (until I made a new crack, ouch!), pulling and tugging, and heating the metal part with a blow torch.

I see some parts references to a metal key (moon shaped chunk of metal). Is there something else holding this thing on?

Paul Haney

Reply to
phaney

[...]

you need a press to remove the wheel.

don't pound on it anymore. Get the right tool or make one. pounding will just destroy your car and your fingers.

the press slides under the collar on the wheel. then a bolt gets tightened, pressing against the steering shaft. Usually just have to lift it about 1/8" and then it pulls right off.

Reply to
aiiadict