Shaft wearing down?

On the '65 swing axle I have replaced the rear wheel seals and had them replaced by some old salts a number of times now. Often it will stay dry for a while but inevitably starts to leak transmission oil down the back side of the tire (and around the rear drum). More and more I am suspecting that the parts are simply getting too worn so that the gaps are too large. Have folks run into this much? I wonder how many parts I am likely to be looking at having to replace.

I don't want to let this go since the first time it happened I didn't discover it until the tranny ran low on oil and the bearings on the 4th gear started to howl a bit (still do). Having to fill it every few weeks (and make sure I get the correct type of gear oil) is a pain.... having working rear brakes is also an issue.

TIA

Reply to
KWW

Robert

Are the axle nuts tightend to spec? A common cause for leaking rear wheel seals.

Reply to
beetle_boy

Slightly bent axles, or drums to narrow(wrong year?) so the big nut(36mm Hex) reaches end of threads. There are more than one seal that needs replacing, also two narrow/thin o-rings, the smaller one could be misplaced. There is also a steel spacer ring that should be renewed.

J.

Reply to
Berg

Definitely tight enough. Thanks though.

Reply to
KWW

Hopefully not slightly bent.... Not sure how I would tell. I wonder how I could tell which year the drums (or the backplate) was supposed to fit? This is my "Frankencar".

I will have to check with the guys who did it last to see whether they replaced these.

Thanks.

Reply to
KWW

This sounds like something to check this weekend. It was working fairly well this last time until the emergency brake arm came off of the brake shoe when I was nearly to work. The drive home it clicked and snapped, and the drum was very very hot. I am certain that this did not help.

Reply to
KWW