Tearing into a 40 horse questions

Well, I am about to extricate the 40 horse, allegedly rebuilt 5k ago but has a "sticky spot" when I rotate the engine. The car has sat for two years without being run folliwng a rear end collision which did not impact the engine other than banging up the muffler and collapsing a J pipe. I figure since it sat for so long I should replace all the seals. Does that make sense or am I making more work for myself? I am thinking of pulling the heads to take a peek inside the cylinders to see what the condition of the jugs are. The case feels tight, not much play on the crankshaft pulley. When I pull the heads will I need to replace and gaskets or seals between the jugs and the heads? Remember, this is a early '63 40 horse. Unchartered territory for me. Also, other than a visual inspection is there and way I can measure wear on the cylinders with the head off? May seem like stupid questions but I have not cracked open an engine in years.

--Dan E

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche