'tight' ingnition on a bus

I've got another situation with my '75 bus that is buggin' me. When I am intending to start it and I slide the key into the ignition and turn it, nothing happens until it sort of goes 'beyond' the 'start' position. In other words .. I turn it to 'on' ... then I have to turn it REALLY HARD against the stop to get it to fire up. Something tight -- or too lose! -- in the ignition.... as if it's not 'connecting' until I 'man-handle' it way beyond where I should have to. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

I've got another situation with my '75 bus that is buggin' me. When I am intending to start it and I slide the key into the ignition and turn it, nothing happens until it sort of goes 'beyond' the 'start' position. In other words .. I turn it to 'on' ... then I have to turn it REALLY HARD against the stop to get it to fire up. Something tight -- or too lose! -- in the ignition.... as if it's not 'connecting' until I 'man-handle' it way beyond where I should have to. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Doesn't that just mean that you need a new ignition switch? Or are VWs different that way? (I am a newbie to ACVW)

Something similar happened to me years ago in my old Subaru. Had to really crank the key to start it -- I eventually snapped the key in the ignition and had no choice but to start the car with a screwdriver. I'd replace it soon (or carry a large screwdriver :)

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Your Ignition switch is giving you fair warning! Suggest wiring in a backup switch until you can replace it.

There is a good description in your Bentley or:

It is *NOT* a fun job. Make an appointment with the Chiropractor ahead of time...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

If you're not gonna use the bus for a few days, I found it much easier to remove the entire steering column tube and work on it out in the open. The Bentley manual has the exact measurements and specifications (and photos) of what you need to do if you're replacing the lock mechanism. If I remember correctly tho, you can replace the switch portion without messing with the lock part (am I right on this, Jim? It's been sooo long!)

Otherwise the chiropractor advice is good!

Reply to
Busahaulic

Yeah, but the whole thing gotta come out anyway. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Maybe some graphite, shot in there?

g adds. MONEY , what a concept

Reply to
BananaRepublican

I spoke briefly with a local mechanic and found out that you can VERY EASILY install a starter button on (or beneath) the dash ... bypasses all the muss and fuss. Since this is an old 'work van' which I have no real love attraction to (my heart's been broken too many times by the promises of these old buses!) I think that's the obviouse path for me.

Anyone have any links to the process of by-passing the ignition and installing the starter switch!?

Thanks!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

................Just run some 12 gauge wire from the positive battery post through a pushbutton switch and then to the same terminal on the starter solenoid that is connected to the 'hot when cranking' wire from the ignition switch. The switch that I use is rated for 50 amps and costs about $5 or $6 at Autozone. I haven't push started my bug once since I did this almost two years ago..

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I did the same thing on a couple of bugs I've owned, just for the "cool factor" of having a push-button start. :-)

Reply to
Shag

The switch has these wires:

Red Blk Blk/Yell Red/Blk

Splice into the Red and the Red/Blk. Put your pushbutton between those 2 wires.

That will allow the Ign key to still control Ignition, Acc, and Headlights. (If the rest of the switch goes bad, you can just add more toggle switches to the dash:-)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim