Tips for looking at a convertible

I'm going to look at a '76 convertible this weekend. I am told it is still fuel injected and the motor does run. The car has been sitting off and on for about 10 - 15 years. I'm hoping to make it a daily driver. The pictures show the body exterior is in good shape. I do know where to look for rust from my experience with my '73 sedan. Are there any particular areas I need to pay attention to with a convertible? Thanks.

Reply to
Houdsie

Take all the rust experience on a sedan and multiply X 3.

Rocker panels. Rear qtr panels. Reinforcing rails underneath. Frame head. Behind rear seat. Pan (of course) Heater channels.

Remember that each of these areas may have been skillfully mudded over!

Bring a bag of small magnets and throw them at the car.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
D&LBusch

So, I drove 2 hours to look at a '76 vert listed for $3500. The guy I was dealing with admited he did not know that much about VWs. He had bought 4 years ago to restore, but never got around it. I was told the engine was rebuilt and the floor pans were replaced. All I can say is "Holy Hack job Batman!"

The pans were replaced, but actual VW pans were not used. It looks like they were free hand fabricated. The gap under the rear seat was 2 inches, which led to tons of rust. The rest of the car had the tell tale signs of some teenage experiments in body and electric work. So I quickly left so I could make the VW show in Shrewsbury, MA.

I do need to give my wife her props. I called to tell her I was heading to the show and she volunteered to pack up the kids in the Bug and meet me at the show. God love her.

Thanks for your advice. All I have to show for it is a good laugh.

PS - If for some odd reason someone is interested in the vert, drop me a line and I'll give you contact info. It's located in Western MA.

Houdsie

Reply to
Houdsie