Tune-up for dad with a new toy

No, no, no. He is genuinely useless. Was brought up by a single mom whose tools skills are limited to "righty tighty, lefty loosy." Sure, I'd like to be some 50's TV show TV dad and teach the boy all about how to use a torque wrench and stuff like that. But he's got, as I said, the attention span of a Dachshund. ADHD. I'd no sooner have shown how to put the socket on the wrench when he'd have drifted off to playing with the or trying to feel up the teenage girl across the street.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Ilambert

..............LOL

Reply to
Tim Rogers

.................It's good to know that some things never change.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

destination.Steve

Reply to
Ben Boyle

RON = Research Octane Number

You are correct, Per Jorn, I got that wrong. In Southern California, we have gas that is RON 87, 89, & 91. And, with all the junk they put in it now to supposedly help reduce emissions, I'll bet that the actual number is lower than advertised. And the "Bronx cheer" is exactly as Max showed us, as a matter of fact, that person with their tongue sticking out is ....me. It's a sign of jealousy. I know you pay 2 or 3 times as much for fuel, but at least you can still get decent fuel. (P.S. Max, I can't believe you still have that photo-don't you ever throw ANYTHING away?) ;-)

Reply to
Kaferdave

Untill a year ago the "lowest" we got was 95 RON, now a chain of un-manned filling stations named Jet are selling 92.... I know you can get 92 RON in Denmark and Germany aswell, exept for that we got 95 and 98 RON, now how do you like them apples?! :o)

J.

You must have a good memory aswell........

Reply to
BergRace

hehe! You should see my barn!

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Hey -- you know what? Before I got the Wonderbus, I went a lot faster on the freeways (75 - 80mph are not uncommon speeds to drive if you want to drive in the leftmost two lanes around here), and fretted over lights changing red right before I got to them . . . the usual Type A driving behavior. Now, with the Wonderbus, I just sort of putt around, and don't mind the delays. It's a much more pleasant driving experience.

Thank you Wonderbus, thank you RAMVA guys for all the help.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote in news:Ls7Hb.5984$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.news.adelphia.net:

Hold it, Squirrel. A $500 project might not be such a bad idea. When my Dad found out I was a klutz--and as a child I was...couldn't hammer in a nail straight to save my life--he let me play in a "sandbox" of woodworking and electrical stuff anyway. Never mind how lousy my projects turned out. It allowed me to see how things fit together and conceptualize. Years later when I showed up in an old bus I had fixed up, he confided that he had almost given up hope, and nothing made him prouder than to see me driving around in that car.

Reply to
cloud8

i also think(as did another RAMVA poster in a thread recently) that most young people *should* drive an "old" vehicle around a bit...they have less "safety" equipment, but you *know* when you are going fast and you learn to respect the speed a bit more...but as always, that is just my opinion

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

You may be right. I'll have to think about it. I might re-consider.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Ilambert

well i *think*(read: my opinion) that the reason we have so many highway deaths is not only because of the increased traffic, but also in direct proportion to the lack of driving skills and lack of respect for the "machine".....the unfortunate thing is that people that are in an accident tend to be more careful afterwards, but in todays "safety mobiles" when an accident happens you normally either walk away or you die....the ones that walk away don't seem to think about what *could* have happened....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Well, now. I walk on a metal knee, courtesy of today's advanced orthopaedic resources. This the result of a head-on collision back in

1980 in Topanga Canyon one rainy night where I combined alcohol, a Fiat 850 with bald tires, and a desire to get home quickly. Six months in the hospital, six in a wheelchair. I have a healthy respect for how much damage we can do to ourselves in an accident, how quickly it can happen, and how little you can do in those brief few hundreds of milliseconds between when you realize that Something Bad Is About To Happen, and when it does.
Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Ilambert

Reply to
Ilambert

no sir, not suggesting that at all....to clarify, i am saying that in an "old" car you can "feel" the speed you are doing. it is evident by the roadfeel, noise level, and the steering system....i *think* everyone that is new to driving should experience that so they can "feel" it. thats all....my wifes bmw and her new protege' ride so smoothly and quietly that you can ignore the speedo for a few miles and creep up to 80 and not realize it(from 60)....now in a beetle or other "old" vehicle it is evident when you do that....actually you won't "creep" up to that speed without noticing it....the cars that are more modern feel the same at 80+ as they do at 35, therefore there isn't much "sensation" of speed....when highway driving with other vehicles doing the same speed then you can get "tunnel" vision and have no point of reference as to the speed you are going.....everyone should take my old chevy truck for a spin on the highway...LOL....you will damn sure know when you are speeding....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

i'm sorry you had to experience that. but as i said it does instill a sense of "respect" for not only life, but for objects(read: vehicles) that can take that life away...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

You had Fiat 850's in the states??