VDO Guage Adjustment Or New Sending Unit?

I have a 74 Super Beetle. When I fill the tank, It only reads about 5/8 of a tank. After 100 miles of driving, it reads near the red mark. Is there an adjustment that I can make or should I try a new sender. Any Suggestions. I only used 3.5 gallons of gas going that apprx 100 miles.

Reply to
SC Truck Guy

Both! To adjust the full scale reading, remove the speedo (fill the tank first) and turn the set screw on the "silver box" behind the fuel gauge called the vibrator. Make sure to use a plastic screwdriver as the case is @ +12v and you could short the fuse.

If after adjusting for full scale, you find the meter just isn't accurate over it's range, you'll need a new sending unit. They are easy to replace, but you need to pull the tank up from where it rests back about a foot or so to remove it.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Thanks David, I also have the same problem on my SB.

David Gravereaux wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

I wouldn't willy-nilly make any adjustments without testing first. (No criticism intended...) Most vibrators don't have external adjustment (that I've seen).

See the fuel gauge article on my web site.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim