Walter's progress, or lack of :)

Just checking in. Remember Walter? 1961 white bought for US$80 and rebuilt for US$500...?

Well, it runs good enough to take me to work, but still has some problems I want to share....

-4th gear pops out. every time. under power. coasting is fine. Tried adjusting the linkage, no improovement. New tranny, I guess...

-Steering got sloppy all of a sudden. I had to really move the adjustment screw on the steering box to get it drivable. When moving the steering wheel, the arm of the box moves up and down as it rotates. Shot? Adjustable?

-Engine vibrates in some RPM spot. Fixes itself reving past that point.... its around 70K/h in fourth gear. Past that and it quiets. Generator? (its a built from parts of several generator. CHarges great, though..)

-Brakes need work again. Is it normal for brakes to need an adjustment

100 miles after assembly?

The good parts: engine has not consumed or leaked a drop of oil. And its very frugal on gas. I am still running on the same half tank I put in the first time I got out on the streen a month ago and I've already got to work 3 times in it :)

Sorry for the long post... Any ideas for the problem areas welcome.

PS. Its for sale for US$500. I need a larger car :(

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:31:01 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo Kaftanski ran around screaming and yelling:

hehe...you will sell it then pay that for another one, then dump that much again into it...you know you will....you already have....LOL JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

If it got sloppy all of a sudden, maybe it´s some nut or rod, but as you describe it it sounds like you have to change the box, check the box for play in the steering wheel when the wheels are not turning, and vice versa, try to move the wheels and see if the steering wheel moves (this last whith the front wheels on the air).

I hope not, otherwise I´m in trouble ;) I´m not an expert in brakes, but I belive that after 100 miles they should be in basically the same state. It is not much, hope it helps

Ant

Reply to
Ant

I put it up for sale mainly because I wanted to buy a 1986 Peugeot 505 a friend in need of money sells for US$500. I knew it needed an engine repair as it had overheated.

Problem is, when I went to see the car, the engine was so badly overheated the alternator mount had warped and the spark plug cables had melted onto the sparkplugs....

Compression read zero in cilinders 2 and 3...

I passed. Body was not worth saving...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:41:43 +0000 (UTC), Eduardo Kaftanski ran around screaming and yelling:

i think you made the right decision... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani