What distributor is this?

Ok, now we come to the surprises, deception phase. I found a really ugly, dirty, filthy distributor on the SB. it's a VW I think, it says is made in brasil. But I really can't identify it. The number on the label (besides VW and Audi logos) reads 040 905 205 8. Can anyone tell me what's this? is it reliable? should I rebuild it? or should I throw it to the thrash can? it's working. So I think behind all that dirt, there's a living dizzy.

Thanks for your help

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

There's another number engraved on the body. Misteriously, this one looks like a bosch number. It's 9 230 081 035. NOW I'm confused! is there anyone out there with that kind of knowledge? how can I set the timing if I don't even know what dizzy do I have?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

one small vacumm can? could be a standard brazilian dist. used by millions of brasilian made bugs. dual advance. works ok. I have one in a stock

1300 engine...
Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

It has a vacuum can, but it's not that small. The funny thing is, mine is NOT a brazillian made bug. it's a german made SB. and my engine is a 1600DP. I think this is one of a gazillion mistakes a previous owner made with this car. for example, he adapted a Solex H-30PIC carburetor trying to get better fuel economy. Who would want better fuel economy than a stock (well mantained) bug?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

if thats the carb, thats the correct dizzy, if it is a brasilian stock dizzy...

I have the same combo waiting for assembly on a 1600sp...

let me check tonight when I get home what numbers are on mine.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Perfeto Eduardo, Gracias por tu ayuda. Anyway, That's not the Carb I'll keep. Maybe I'll get a new engine with a dual carb and keep this combo as a spare. or maybe I'll just drop dual IDF's in and a 009. What do you think? mechanical, vacuum or dual advance?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

according to local wisdom, for a stock carb the best dist seems to ve the SVDA aircooled.net sells. for dual carbs, I have no idea :) no dual carbs in CHile...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

...maybe you need to import a set. ;-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

If you do go to dual IDFs,use a 009.Atried and true killer combo.Be sure to dial it in(each one is a little different)then enjoy.OG Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

I would love to. a set of kadrons will be on my next engine (1776) once this one dies.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

This carb is NOT the stock.The stock should be a Solex 34 PICT.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I think the vacuum signal from the H30PIC should be correct for the SVDA. Not sure though...

My H30PIC has manual choke... yours?

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Also. But I think the vacuum it's not working. If I unplug the Vacum hose, There's no noticeable difference. How can I make sure it works?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

two tests: one is to see if you get vacumm on the hose itself. I don't know if you will get it at idle. do you have a vacumm meter? the other test is to stop the engine, open the dist cap, disconnect the hose at the carb and watch if sucking on the dist hose moves the points...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Hmm...dind't think about that one. Tomorrow I'll try and see. What about the timing? how should I set it with this dizzy?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Mine has both Bosch and VW part numbers.

http://63.230.74.177/vacdist2.jpg There is a pretty good list of part numbers at

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Of course, what I'm concerned about is, these numbers are not on any list I know of, so I heve no way to identify this dizzy. Maybe Eduardo was right, and I should check with some of our brazillian counterparts.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Instead of sucking, you can use a 20 - 50 ml syringe, very cheap and available at any pharmacy. Used in combination with the vacum meter, you can easily detect if the vacum canister leaks (when the pressure drops).

Bill, '67 bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

I set mine 5 BTDC. Thats where the mark in my pulley is :)

(got home too late to check my dist numbers, Iam sorry. will try again tonight)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Thanks again Eduardo. Don't forget to check the numbers.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña