will a 165x15 tire as spare FIT into my '71 ghia 'spare well'@front?

need to buy tires, probably "all five" & it's VERY hard to find 155 x 15's anywhere.

I've been told that only an 'aired up' 155 x 15 tire will fit down in the 'spare tire well' on its rim, and, if my spare on rim is 165 x 15, it will NOT fit down in there _unless_ there's NO AIR in it. can anyone confirm ,or deny, this? aka: will a 165 x 15 tire, "aired up properly" fit INTO the spare tire well at the very front of my (1971) ghia? (assuming no major or 'lite' front end or 'nose' dings, as is the case here)

anyone having a 'reasonably cheap' source to offer for 155 x 15 tires I'd also sure LOVE to hear from ;-)

thanks much

Reply to
bill yohler

I actually just ordered some 135-15s today from Premier Tire Terminal for $45 and their ad claims to offer

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Well, I don't know about the Ghia, but a 165/80/15 fits in my spare well (73 std. beetle). It's a pretty tight fit, and I have to pull pretty damn hard to yank it out, but it drops in fairly easily. Just DON'T put the tire in your well, and then inflate it while it's there and hope you can pull it out when you need it. Doing that will crack something apart! I would really think that a 165 would fit in your well. ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I was unable to get a 165 into my 67s spare tire well. But a 145 does fit.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton