1990 740GL, electrical strangeness

After driving to a fish pond on a rough, bumpy dirt road, my 1990 740 started doing some strange things.

When I turned on the headlights, the wipers come on. I had to pull the horn/wiper fuse to get home without the wipers screeching on the dry windshield.

The next day, I noticed that the power windows were dead, but the fuse looks good (I don't have a 30A handy to actually switch it out and test it).

Next, the turn signals went out, and the fuse is blown. However, when I put in a new fuse, it blows immediately.

Obviously, something electical is wrong. A short somewhere perhaps? How is something like this diagnosed by the home mechanic?

Thanks, Jay R.

Reply to
JayR

On the inside of each wing (on my UK spec 740, at least) is a bunch of earth (ground) terminals. I'd start by checking all of them as 740s seem to have real problems with earthing. Check the engine earth strap too (attached to the bulkhead). It seems that it was made a little too short - mine had snapped.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Sounds good, I'll check. Er, what's the USA word for what is called a "wing" in the UK?

Reply to
JayR

Fender. Boot is Trunk, Bonnet is Hood, estate is wagon, saloon is sedan, Sills are Rocker Panels, manifolds are headers. I may be wrong about Fender, but it is the word that sprang to mind.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Fender

Reply to
Administrator

Heh! Fenders, as others have said. I imagine that our continued use of the word "wing" originated from early cars where the fenders did look a little like wings...

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Reply to
mccreadys4

Mac,

This sounds great, I will definitely make this a project.

Regarding my 740, I checked the grounding harnesses inside each fender. There were two on the passenger side, and one on the driver's side. They did not look corroded and were properly affixed. I didn't see any wires that appeared to have come unclipped from either fender ground.

I did find one more clue to my problem. I noticed that my driver's side headlight is extremely dim. When I turn on the left turn signal, both the driver's side headlight and the flasher blink weakly. The passenger side light is fine.

So right now the turn signals are work> I have just gone through the same deal with my 90 wagon.

Reply to
JayR

Whenever you have dim lights, and switches from one device affecting another, then I always suspect grounds. Keep in mind the problem can be anywhere on the ground wire from the connection at the device to the connection on the body.

Reply to
Mike F

Mike F wrote: > Whenever you have dim lights, and switches from one device affecting

Ok, then it's pretty certain I've got a grounding issue. If I've already looked in the obvious places and don't see bad connection, is there a way to locate a bad ground, like a tool of some kind?

JR

Reply to
JayR

One tool that is necessary would be a voltmeter. Put one lead on the negative battery terminal. Measure the voltage at the ground wire at the headlight. It should be close to zero, I'd say maximum about 0.3 V. Another tool that would be very helpful is a wiring diagrams manual, so you know which colour wires are supposed to do what. Because your wipers are turning on, I ask the question, what are your windshield washers doing during all this?

Reply to
Mike F

Washers are inactive -- it seems to be affecting only the wiper motor.

Reply to
JayR

What turns the wipers on other than the wiper switch? The washer pump. Energizing the washer pump fires up the wiper motor, so if your headlight is being grounded through the washer pump, then the wiper relay will be receiving a signal down that wire, and will turn the wipers on. Try disconnecting the wires at the washer pump.

Reply to
Mike F

Rather than just rely on my visual inspection, I decided to follow the advice here and disconnect/clean/reconnect the ground wires inside the fenders. Vallah! Problem gone.

I still don't really understand why my #8 fuse (turn signals) was blowing immediatly upon insertion, but everything's back to normal now.

Thanks to all who responded!

Reply to
JayR

Reply to