2002 XC70 Tailgate won't unlock/open

Hello all

2002 XC70. When I got it a few months ago the passenger side (left, I am in the UK) rear door central locking wasn't working. Volvo dealer said it needed a new lock. I haven't had it fixed yet as it really doesn't cause me any problems and I can still lock and unlock it manually. Don't think this is anything to do with the problem but just in case I thought I'd say...

BUT, earlier this week my wife borrowed the XC70 and came back saying tailgate wouldn't open.

Thought it might be crap in the boot that got jammed when she closed the tailgate but the boot was/is empty and I have had a good look around.

When I pull the handle on the outside of the tailgate I can feel it is connected to something (it moves fully with a small amount of resistance but isn't opening a lock) so it isn't the rods that have come loose. On further inspection the central locking makes no noise in the tailgate when I lock or unlock the car. It is a 5 seater so no internal release handle or hidden hole for the key to go in next to the handle in the tailgate.

Any ideas of either how I solve the problem or how I can just get the door open.

Have so far had a go at getting the trim off the back door (the bottom half of the trim is screwed along the bottom and sides according some pics I have found from the Volvo workshop manual) and have pulled the top free but that doesn't really help me I don't think. Even if I apply more force and get my hand near the lock it is still locked. Is there any way to unlock the lock if you can get to it or is it all inside a sealed unit?

Cheers Craig

Reply to
Craig.Holdsworth

When you pull the trim apart at the top, look down inside for a white piece of plastic. This piece is connected to the lock motor. Slide it toward the passenger side (I think, really whatever way it will slide) and you should be unlocked.

I had this same problem and it turned out that the wiring harness leading to the hatch had broken wires in it (a common problem from what I am told.) The wires were broken where they route thru the hinge mechanism. The wiring harness goes along the passenger side (left) hinge. It doesn't take much disassembly to get to the wires. A few butt connectors and some heat shrink tubing and you'll be back in business.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Many thanks Shawn - I do hope you are right. I will give it a go tomorrow when there is a bit of light.

Cheers C

Reply to
Craig.Holdsworth