88 volvo help

this car will startonce in a while. but rare both fuel pump will work but no power to #30 fuse and even if i put power it wont start. i ckecked the grounds and the relay at the right aron power and good cleaned the plug at the ecu and looked at the ecu board looks good. it will start if i put gas down the intake till it uses that any help please.

Reply to
phil palenske via CarKB.com

hi,

you're ahead of me by 1 step... my 81 245 has gone from good-barely-to no-go in the last year... i've done it all... newer gas tank, fuel pumps, relays and like Neal Young's "rust never sleeps" it sits and waits... now into

9th month ima geared-up to get it going...

QUESTION: How do i "put gas down to intake"??? that would help me get started!!!

thanks...

ya, it's got spark... i dunno about gas though!

phil palenske via CarKB.com wrote: : this car will startonce in a while. but rare both fuel pump will work but : no power to #30 fuse and even if i put power it wont start. i ckecked the : grounds and the relay at the right aron power and good cleaned the plug at : the ecu and looked at the ecu board looks good. it will start if i put gas : down the intake till it uses that any help please.

: -- : Message posted via

AND Books

First, you have to have a carburetor. Then, it's simply a matter of removing the air filter (usually mounted on top of the carb) and pouring a couple of ounces into the barrels.

Presuming you have FI, have you changed the plugs? Pull one; if it's covered with sticky black gunk, you're getting fuel. If not, verify the injectors are firing; the next step depends upon what you find here.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

: Presuming you have FI, have you changed the plugs? Pull one; if it's : covered with sticky black gunk, you're getting fuel. If not, verify : the injectors are firing; the next step depends upon what you find : here.

ya, i got FI. plugs seem to fire but are dry, as is the exhaust... have replaced to olde-'81 fuel distributor, also replaced/repaired the broken looong fuel pipe from main fuel pump to fuel filter with several hi-pressure hose chunks & clips... it *was* running fine... now i'm stuck, it ran well for 2-3 months, then started to miss and chug... i've learned not to jump in to do things unless i definitely know what's wrong.... my plan is to (1) establish fuel problem (I had a mechanic once tell me about spraying ether or fuel into the rubber boot around the air-intake, which prompted my question 'cause i'm not sure of how that's done...) and (2) remove the fuel filter and test it as open and see if fuel is being pumped to that point...

meanwhile the '81 wagon sits patiently awaiting my attention, and my wife gets furious to just get rid of it! I've worked with/on volvos since 1963 and i will *not* give up... but tyme's against me and my other 2 '86 volvos which *do* run!!!

thanks...

janos sz

: Gary

: -- : Gary Heston snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net

: Windows is like SUVs; a bad idea, poorly implemented, unsafe, with a : lot of inept users, but a fact of life we have to put up with.

Reply to
AND Books