Downloading info into a Volvo?

Greetings

Has anyone of there in the aether been able to do this with out taking their car to a Volvo dealer?

If so, what did you use? Where did you get the software?

Or, is it not a doable thing?

I'd like to download the software upgrade for a 98 S70 for the trip computer (yeah, on the cheap).

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hammo

Reply to
Hammo Jones

You do not need software for a 98 S70 But you do need the pin code which is only available to the dealer which enables the dealership personal to program the combined instrument

Reply to
G Klein

On 21/8/04 8:07 AM, in article BCuVc.39098$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net, "G Klein" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

Ok, you'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what (is the PIN) and how is the PIN code "entered" into the car?

You may have read a previous posting of mine where the dealer is wanting the better part of 500 bucks to activate the trip computer (i.e. DTE, instantaneous, average consumption etc).

If it requires a PIN code, how can it be so expensive?

I like to keep up with advances in rocket science, but this is obviously one case that passed me by!

Can it be done with a scan tool, or is the tool you refer to something special that has a "one off" function and hence the costs?

Cheers

Hammo

Reply to
Hammo Jones

A pin code is a code that allows the technician to enter the combined instrument to program which is done by using a tool that hooks up in to the OBD 2 Data link connector I do not know if any of the scanners on the outside will be able to program this for you someone else who has done this may be able to offer some assistance on how to do this as I have only used the Volvo tool to perform this the price quoted you most likely is for the entire job as the basic cluster is not equipped with the trip computer the cluster has to be removed from the dash in order to install the trip computer I am guessing that $500.00 is for the whole job parts & labor I will check on Monday to see what we would charge for this job & will post back sometime Monday night Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

Hi Glenn

I look forward to hearing back from you.

From what I have been told, all that I need is present, it is a 60 odd dollar switch that goes into the dash and the rest is the "software". If it is only a PIN code, how hard would it be to guess, or use one that has been used on other vehicle of same type?

Cheers

On 22/8/04 11:19 AM, in article XwSVc.4409$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net, "G Klein" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

Reply to
Hammo Jones

This is what is needed

1) Switch $35.00 2) Pin Code 299.00 3)Labor 1.50 Hrs @ $94.00=$141.00 4) $475.00 + tax so the price you were quoted is close to what we get for this job I still that $299.00 for the pin code is outrageous but that is what Volvo charges for this information Glenn
Reply to
G Klein

On 24/8/04 8:51 AM, in article HxuWc.25588$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net, "G Klein" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

Can this code be obtained from anywhere else other than Volvo?

Cheers

Hamish Alker-Jones

No if you know the service department personal they may be able to get you the pin code other then that I do not know of any other way

Reply to
G Klein

On 24/8/04 10:35 PM, in article sCGWc.29974$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net, "G Klein" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

Sorry to keep asking you these silly questions, but....

Is it really that simple? Adding the code in via the OBD II scan tool? No need for the "big" machine and a network connection to Volvo HQ?

I will search out a source then.....

Cheers and many thanks

Hamish Alker-Jones