Rattle from 940 turbo

I have this old girl 124K she has once again sailed thru her MOT (UK) I asked the mechanic about the rattle when I power on. It sound extremely noisy when run from cold, but-- quietens down to a less sharp rattle. It does seem to manifest from the bottom end. The mechanic said "IGNORE--- she's an old girl, just run her into the ground. As long as she is serviceable you'll be fine". The old girl indeed runs well with no loss of acceleration and the turbo is a delight to use. I have added a product (he advised) ZX1 FRICTION ELIMINATOR. I use good quality oil and have regular services. I am just so concerned about the obvious"knock" I am keen to keep her but is there any other way of softening the Rattle/Knock

--------------------------------------------------------------------- "Are you still wasting your time with spam?... There is a solution!"

Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector The most powerful anti-spam software available.

Trevor Colluney

Check the exhaust for loose/fallen off hangers, weak connections between pipes and muffler/catalytic converter etc... Check heat shields for any looseness.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I would track down where it's coming from and repair it, I had a knock like that which turned out to be the bracket had broken on the exhaust pipe. A '91 940T with only 124K on it is hardly an "old girl", she's just about broken in!

Reply to
James Sweet