US V70 XC - Fueling overflow problem

I have a 2001 V70 XC, 35k miles. When filling the car, the fuel never shuts off automatically, it will fill until overflowing everytime.

I live in NY, the car originally was delivered in NJ. The Syracuse dealer speculates that this car was set up for the vapor recovery system mandated in NJ and not used in NY (basically the big rubber boot on the filler nozzle)

He says there is no fix. I think this is bogus, people in NJ travel!

any suggestions?

David Ithaca, NY

Reply to
David Poles

The problem is with the gas station not the car. The automatic shut off should work on a car or gas can. It should not be vehicle dependant. I have run into several gas stations where the automatic shutoff did not work. It wasn't my car. On other pumps at the same station it would work.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Hi David: I have not experienced this problem in Ontario, nor when I fill up in northern N.Y. state (Massena, Watertown, Plattsburgh). I did have a problem with a previous 1999 XC and this may still be relevant. The fuel tank on the XC is like a pair of saddle bags, that straddles the drive shaft. I could pump 80 litres of gas into the '99, even though Volvo stated the capacity was only 66 litres. So, I suspect you are overfilling the tanks and as suggested, a faulty automatic shutoff at the service station may be the culprit. I don't think the Volvo fuel tank system is possibly

100% compatible with the service station's pumps. Just my opinion... Cam Cameron Price Newington, Ontario, Canada

1953 PV444 "E" #54940 1953 PV444 "E" #61576 1960 P 120 Amazon #046279 104,700 miles 1980 262C #6618 244,400 km 2001 V70 AWD XC 62,172 km

F2000SL 4,240.2 km Cannondale Volvo Team Replica R600 2,882.5 km Cannondale road bike Jekyll 3000 4,653.0 km Cannondale Volvo Team Replica

Reply to
camshaft