Volvo: Identify Auto Trans Type

I am wondering how i identify the type of transmission type i have. The Ower's Manual refers to a AW5 and AW4 and the fluid type is quite different between the two.

Could someone help me find where this information is?

thanks

Reply to
lfw

What model & year please?

Reply to
Glenn

It is a year 2000, V70 model

Reply to
lfw

More than likely it is an aw 50-55 transmission you will to check your owners manual for the correct type Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

lfw wrote: I am wondering how i identify the type of transmission type i have. The Ower's Manual refers to a AW5 and AW4 and the fluid type is quite different between the two. Could someone help me find where this information is? thanks What model & year please?

--    "*-344-*Never Forgotten" Is for the New York City Firemen who lost their lives on September

11,2001. The official count is 343, but there was also a volunteer who lost his life aiding in the initial rescue efforts. And I will never forget them as long as I live, nor should any American. More than likely it is an aw 50-55 transmission you will to check your owners manual for the correct type Glenn

--------------060700090806060801070300--

Reply to
klh in VA

AW50-42 is 4 speed. AW55-50 is 5 speed.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

I seem to remember that you can tell the difference between the two by the markings on the shifter and by the atf fluid dipstick. Supposedly if the handle to the dipstick is yellow and easy to get to it is the older 4 speed type while the newer 5 speed type has a hard to reach red handle. But, I might have it wrong :(.

Volvo supplied both 4 and 5 speed automatic transmissions for a period of time.

There is probably also a way to tell from the VIN number. Your friendly Volvo dealer should be able to look it up.

John

Reply to
John Horner