2003 GTI coils

I have a 2003 GTI 1.8T with 30K miles. In the past seven months, two coils have failed. This car was, according to the dealer and VW, not subject to the recall that affected so many 01, 02 and some 03 1.8Ts. Anyone know why these coils would fail? I am told by the mechanic that all of the coils are now "J" type, and that the one that failed was an "H" type, which means that there were both "J" and "H" types in this engine. Weird. Any advice? Is there something inherent in this design that means that I can expect coil failures forever

-- vwgopher

View this thread:

Send from

vwgopher

Rob Guenther

All of my coils were replaced under the recall. However two of the new coils have failed since then. The new coils seem to hold together better, but are still nowhere bulletproof. I guess it is going to cost me $25 per coil every year or so... untill I get rid of my VW for good.

Reply to
Alex

It's very odd that the new coils would fail, but anything is possible. As long as you use the factory recommended spark plug all should be well down the road.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I just picked up the repaired car today (had to drive 250 miles to get it). Both this coil replacement and the coil replacement performed in April 2005 show the replacement part as "06B-905-115-L", even though the VW mechanic told me that all of the coils in my car were now of the "J" type. Makes no sense. Perhaps these are type J coils and the part number does not match with whatever type "J" means. I have no idea

-- vwgopher

View this thread:

Send from

vwgopher

The updated coils that we installed at the dealer I worked at were all either -K or -L coil packs. You can easily check be removing the engine cover and disconnecting the harness connector on one of the coils. Part number will be plainly visible. FWIW, I can't remember having to replace a K or L yet.

it). Both this coil replacement and the coil replacement performed in April

2005 show the replacement part as "06B-905-115-L", even though the VW mechanic told me that all of the coils in my car were now of the "J" type. Makes no sense. Perhaps these are type J coils and the part number does not match with whatever type "J" means. I have no idea.
Reply to
Trip