'91 Jetta GLi 2 liter will not shift into 5th gear and hiccoughs on acceleration

Hello,
It has been some time since I have used this forum...
My '91 GLi has been sitting idle in the garage for several years. It now has fresh oil and fresh gas and fires right up. Shifting through gears 1-4 is perfect however I cannot get the lever into 5th gear.
Also, under medium to hard acceleration, there is a lurch that feels like there is a momentary loss of fuel delivery
Any suggestions as to what either of these might be?
THx!
~Von wrote:

maybe some clues here for your GLi https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t 0995 maybe that plastic cable holder broke? EnJoy