'92 Jetta ECOdiesel-turn the key,nothing happens!

I have a '92 Jetta ECOdiesel and the engine will not crank using the key.If I turn the key 'on',and then hot wire the starter,it starts right up. I thought to myself:AH HA!! IT"S THE IGNITION SWITCH! I went to the local FLAPS and bought the correct ignition switch for the car.I pull the harness off of the old switch,install the new switch and other than the idiot lights coming on,*nothing happens*when I turn the switch on completely My question to the group is: Is there a relay,or a fuse that controls the key function to start the car? I'm hoping that I don't have some sort of f**ked up electrical problem that will force me to improvise some half assed solution to get going again.Any advice would be very greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reply to
Nevermind

does it have the seat belts which buckle onto the door? If so maybe the wires are broken.

Reply to
Lost In Space

In article , Lost In Space wrote: .....You know what? I disconnected the seat belt so I could get in and out of the car quickly while I'm working on the car in my garage..I was unaware that this would disable the igniition! HAHAHA! I think you may have solved my problem!!!!

Reply to
Nevermind