96 Golf alarm arms w/ honk rather than beep

When the I lock the door of my 96 Golf and arm the alarm the horn honks rather loudly. I have listened to other Golf owners as they lock their doors, and they all seem to have a much more subdued sound. More of a beep than a honk. This wouldn't be a problem excpet my neighbors bedroom is right next to my driveway. Any suggestions as to how to fix this short of disconnecting the horn? Thanks,

kbatch