Have radio code, need more...

I've reset this radio before no problem, but not this time.
It's a 98 Jetta GL 2.slow. I was too lazy to go inside and get the
number, thought I could remember it,
put wrong code in. Now says '2 Safe'. Googling, I found where it said to
press key combo Mode+Scan to
reset. My radio doesn't have a 'Mode' button. I tried other buttons, no go.
It's the original radio, Clarion I believe. After a battery disconnect I
tried to enter the code
from memory a couple of times, and now it says "2 Safe". After getting
the right code which I've used
before, I tried disconnecting the battery for about 24 hrs and pulling
the radio Fuse for about a week,
it still won't even allow me to enter the code, just say's "2 Safe". Did
I kill it?
I guess my real question is: Can I put in a Pioneer or something? Is the
alarm system or anything else
dependant upon that original radio being there?
Thanks,
Les
Reply to
Les
To reset the safe mode you need to leave the ignition turned on for about an hour. For your other question, you absolutely can put an after-market radio in without causing any problems IF it is installed correctly. A lot of the wiring kits you can buy injects 12V into the communications line which causes the scan tool to not be able to communicate.
[...]
LG

Site Timeline Threads