Axle replacement

Is the 'glue' in the splines of the outer CV to hub necessary? Is there a generic adhesive such as red LockTite that is acceptable? Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

It's just locktite and I never add it after a repair.

Reply to
Woodchuck

My 1996 Bentley says "Two types of wheel hubs have been installed on the cars covered by this manual. The early-type hub uses a locking fluid on the CV joint shaft spines. The later type uses a modified spline design and no locking fluid. Be sure to note if sealant is present on the drive axle and wheel hub splines when removing the axle. If sealant is present, the drive axle must be reinstalled into the original hub using the specified locking compound. [VW part D

185 400 A2]

There is a different torquing method for each.

The book does not say when the change was made.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Woodchuck, you do know there are different formulas of Locktite, don't you? (Of course you do, right?)

The colors are different to make each stand out from the other. I myself use the 'blue' version as necessary.

imho- CV joint wise, the main thing is to avoid having dirt/grease on the threads, or in the holes during reassembly.

TBerk

Yep... I agree. And VW has some super locktite that is "green". The only way to get something apart is heat the crap.

Reply to
Woodchuck