Re: Last year of Scirocco in North America?

I miss my scirocco... always kick yourself for selling a car...

> Thanks everyone. As far as I remember, there was both an 8 valve engine > and a > > 16 valve engine avaliable in the North American (U.S. Spec) Scirocco in > 1988. > > I think they might have been offered simultaneously for '87 because the 16V > debuted in '87 here but I think in '88 my memory tells me that the 8V went > away and it was only the 16V. > > > Can anyone confirm this for me and give me diplacment and horsepower > specs? If memory serves, the 2.0 litre 16 valve, 134 Horsepower mill offered > in late MKII GTis was never offered in the Scirocco, right? > > Right. The Scirocco was 1.8L 123hp just like the 16V A2 GTIs that were the > 1.8s. > >
Reply to
Chris

I've promised myself that when my '91 GTI hits 200K miles, it goes. I'm sure I'll miss the hell out of it too. But I have two cars right now and there's no sense in that for me (have to insure two cars, and one car has to be on the street at night too because I have only a 1 car garage, and that kills me too). But I want to keep my GTI to 200K miles just to say that I had a car that went that far (and yes...I'm the only owner). It'll be a sad day, but I'll have to let go somehow.

Reply to
Matt B.

*snif*

Hi Ron! how's my baby?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Well after pulling $38 in change from under the seat and dash console, and filling the shop vac while cleaning it, it seems to handle better..like it's much lighter! Turning up the Konis helped too, except my back is bitching.

Yesterday, I finally got a tag on it, and am having a blast! CD player does work, but it sure has some funny electrical gremlins. Is the amp always on, or does one of the wires switch it on with the ignition? I think the driving light relay is hanging and draining the battery, sometimes the water temp works, sometimes not, oil pressure light is no-op,fuel pump runs with ignition on, but engine off ( never does stop), and a few other oddities. No complaints, just having fun

Yeah, it's a blast, (and the P1800 deal fell through.)

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

Amps won't run unless the system is either in "accesory" mode or the car is running. However, running an amp (the lager the amp, the worse in this scenario) in accesory mode on a regular basis will drain your system quite a bit. You should really have the car turned on and the alternator running when you listen to the stereo.

How about doing a ground up rebuild including the engine/tranny and posting the pics? =)

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

Ayup, I went a little nuts with the suspension setup...

I believe it is supposed to turn off if it does not receive an audio signal from the head unit. Not sure if it is actually working that way. I'd be tempted to just redo the whole stereo setup. ISTR not liking the way it was wired, but right now I don't remember exactly why.

I have a newer Alpine in the Porsche, if I swap it out I'll cut you a good deal, but there's no amp with it. Also I think I have a Sony cassette head unit with CD changer that I gave to a friend to put in the

16V I sold her but she never installed it - her brother put a "boomin" system in it for her as a present. I dunno where you would put the changer though - it fits under the pass seat in the GTI but I don't see how you'd put it anywhere you could reach it in a roccet.

oops... I thought I fixed that

I just noticed that when driving it up to York. I think I have another cluster from a Diesel something around here if you need a new gauge. It didn't end up in the trunk with the other spare parts b/c Michele wanted the speedo needle (I munged hers up while fixing her odo)

that's odd, it used to work. Oh well there should be a gauge and dual sender in the glovebox if you can figure out how to wire it up so the light still works properly.

Sounds like the fuel pump relay packed it in from sitting too long. Common failure although usually the pump doesn't run at all and you end up walking.

and a few other oddities. No complaints, just having fun

Sorry to hear that, if I had to get rid of a VW for a car I wouldn't mind a P1800 myself.

Let me know if you find a pair of them :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Ayup... it won't track worth a s**t. I already took it apart and cleaned the lens, that's not the problem.

nate

R> Correction: CD player works in the driveway, and makes gawdawful

Reply to
Nate Nagel