Battery replacement didn't require entering radio code!

I replaced the battery in my 00 Jetta GLS yesterday. Walmart special for $50 (compared to dealer OEM for $120 that they offered to install for "free") that fits perfectly. Anyway, the car was without power for about 1 hour and after installing the battery I started the car up and turned the radio on. The first message was "SAFE" then it turned on and I programmed the channels. (factory radio but not Monsoon, I think. It has the 6 cd changer in trunk)

I thought you had to enter a code to get the radio working again after disconnecting it from power or did it somehow recognize that it never actually left the car?

ND

Reply to
nada

You need to check with your owner's manual.

I seem to recall that some need to be activated with a code before they are secured. I understand some ask the engine computer what it's serial number is and if it matches it accepts that.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi, Same with my 00 Jetta VR6. The car would not start due to the incredibly cold weather we were having in Montreal. As a result, the battery died. When I installed a new one, the radio flashed safe then went about its normal business. No need to enter the code...

FV

Reply to
NanoMan

Starting somewhere around late 99 the radios were able to "pull" the code out from the instrument cluster. An you thought VW wasn't thinking about saving a few $$$ for their owners.

I'm moving to

Woodchuck

Please don't leave us!

Reply to
Randolph

Oops

Woodchuck

Oops is right. The freudian slip of 'dud' suggests that you'll be back. ;-) I think we can submit Woodchuck's name into the USENET hall of fame category for most useful poster. Is there a USENET hall of fame?

Lol.

Reply to
Darryl

I reason why I want more to go over there is because my ISP's new server sucks! I can go for days and not see a post here, so I'm wondering how many posts I miss! It's a VW owners wet dream come true... IT'S FREE!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Sadly usenet sercice in ISPs lately suck. I run 3 servers for different ISPs and have always many pore posts that the rest of the servers around..

I still HATE web bases forums. Navigation usually sucks....

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

I run the same "Invision" software on my private forums and it's very well organized! Give it a try?

Reply to
Woodchuck