CV Joint Problems

Hi All,

I have a 1998 Golf IV 5 speed manual that has done 92000kms. The last 6 months has been hell for me with this car. it's a beautiful car and i'm very disappointed i'm having problems. Below is what has occured. Please let me know if you have any ideas on the following.

Purchased 2nd hand in 2001. Previous owner had installed the golf GTi suspension and 16inch after market wheels (which makes it look very cool).

Anyway no problems at all until my reverse gear somehow ended up with a chipped tooth in July 03... $4K later i basically have a brand new gear box.

1 week later driving along minding my own business when crack and grind........ my cv joint and bearings go on the left hand front. Noone can give me an answer why the cv joint blew itself to pieces with no prior warning of wearing or any other signs. I dont do burn-outs or drop the clutch or anything like that may have caused it. gearbox repairers deny any fault or connection. which would be anybodies first thoughts being 1 week after it got the gearbox job done.

$500 later i had a new cv joint and bearings.

December 03.......driving along minding my own business again when crack and grind.......the 6 month old cv joint blows itself to pieces again. my poor golf on a tow truck for the second time in 6 months.

It is currently at the guy who has done all the work on the car so far. he cant work out why it keeps breaking or why it broke in the first place. The gearbox repairers dont know why, the cv joint suppliers dont know why, VW workshop doesnt know why. some say it could be the gti suspension, but i'm not sure how that is possible. they are basically blaming everybody else with me stuck in the middle with a very fast decreasing bank account.

HELP!! Anyone have any ideas what would be the cause of my cv joints to keep busting????

Thank you

John

Reply to
John

John

I've not had any trouble on my 99.5 jetta's cv joints. But the older A2 golfs/jetta's had a adjutment on the ball joint that compensated for different lengths of axle shafts. It's possible that the new models have a similiar setup. Or it's also possible the engine that had to come loose to replace the transmission is not perfectly aligned causing thing to be too tight on one side. Has the front suspension been checked for damadged components that would misalign things?

Good Luck. Jo Bo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Engine/transmission mounts?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
skydivertu

Good point. With the change in suspension, many things can happen and most of them not good. I guess it comes with making changes to the original car.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan