Fuel Gauge

Hi there seem to be a few knowledgeable people in here. Has anyone had this problem (1996 Passat CL TDi) My fuel gauger is driving me nuts! it reads fine until it gets down to the 30 litre mark, after that it will vary from true reading (I think!)to empty or anywhere in between. Sometimes it just plummets down to empty - usually after an uphill left bend!

Is there a remedy for this or do I just need a new (?) sender unit for the guage? + Is it located above the tank under rear seats?

Thanks guys, Mick

Reply to
Warder54

You buy your gas at SHELL don't you?

Reply to
Dick Harder

Must be a joke coming here! go for it. (actually I buy it anywhere)

Reply to
Warder54

This usually can happen if you have a full trunk of heavy stuff sagging your suspension in the back. It also happens if you change your springs to lowering or sport types and the front end didn't lower as much as you expected compared to the rear end lowering.

Reply to
Peter Parker

My guess is the sender unit is worn and needs replaced.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks, but none of those apply.

Reply to
Warder54

That sounds more promising, is the sender located above the tank under rears seats, or is it part of the assembly (can it be replaced on it's own in other words)

Reply to
Warder54

The sender unit can be replaced on it's own, but while I know where it is on a 1965 Sunbeam Imp, a 1970 VW Beetle and a 1990 Mazda Miata, I don't know about a 1996 Passat. If you want to know about a 2002 NB TDI I can look that up.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks everyone, will roll up sleeves and have a look, if I can't find it then I'll have to go and buy the RIGHT Haynes manual this time (Got newer shape '96 by mistake - any takers at £6 ?) - snipped-for-privacy@nospamelliott542.fsworld.co.uk remove the obvious to e-mail Mick

Reply to
Warder54