Gear indicator light on dash stuck in drive help

My indicator light in the dash is stuck in drive. My car will not start now. I have a 95 volkswagon golf III 2.0 Automatic tranny. My transmission changes gears fine but unless the indicator light goes into drive or neutral in wont fire please help???????

Reply to
sunshine2_28

I don't own that particular VW model, so I can't offer a suggestion. However, a Bentley service manual for your car most likely will answer your question. They cost about $50. In addition, you might go to the VWvortex forum and ask your question there. I'm sure someone will have the answer. Just click on

Once you get to that forum, get yourself registered. Registration is no big deal. All it involves is the creation of an ID and password, both of which you just make up. You have to be registered before entering into a discussion. Don't worry, it is not chat mode.

Regards.

Reply to
Papa

there's probably a switch on the shifter somewhere that tells the car what gear it's in and that switch is probably malfunctioning.

Reply to
Matt B.