Golf Automatic not wanting to engage into reverse

I have a 2000 Golf 1.9 TDI with 4 speed adaptive auto trans and it doesn't want to engage into reverse. Every once and a while it works fine but mostly it just barely pulls into reverse or it takes 5 or 10 seconds and a few engine revs before it will engage. Tranny was serviced about 15k before and fluid is fine. I am thinking a valve is stuck. I was considering putting in some Trans-x or Sea Foam and see if it is gunked up but was unsure about this because of the manual saying to use only VW transmission oil. If I drain and change filter it says 3.2 quarts of fluid but that isn't going to be my total oil capacity is it? I would appreciate any ideas or advice.

Thanks,

Reply to
jray

Don't put in any additives. What you first need to do is make sure the fluid level is full and that requires a scanner to measure the fluid temperature. It's checked at 33*C.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Level appears to be correct. I have noticed that when it has cooled down it goes into reverse more normal, but after you have been driving it may take 5 to 10 seconds and a few revs of the engine to engage. You can feel it trying but it is just not latching in. I may go ahead and put in a new filter and oil, and if I am feeling brave may drop the valve body and see if I can see a faulty vave or spring. I found a factory repair manual on cd-rom for $79 so I would probably be wise to wait and get it first. Thanks,

Reply to
jray

Get it scanned for fault codes.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Already done no faults.

Reply to
jray

So it doesn't sound like an electrical problem. Of course you mean you check the auto trans for DTCs and not just the engine. ;-)

Check fluid level.

Good luck and let us know if you need a trans. later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1