Help please, I think its an alarm problem.

Hi everyone. My girlfriends '98 Jetta is having a starting problem and I think it has to do with the alarm. Everything has worked correctly until yesterday when it wouldn't start. Alarm would arm and disarm correctly using the door key, but once inside the car, turning the ignition key would only produce a couple of solid clicks at the starter. Trying to start the car repeatedly would cause the alarm to go off.

I checked the battery/starter directly, by hotwiring the starter solinoid directly from power, and the engine would start and run normally. The problem is now intermittant, with the car usually starting but occasionally just giving a click.

Does this sound like an alarm problem or possibly a problem with the ignition switch, or what else? Anything I can check for before resorting to the Dealer :-( Hope so....

Thanks a lot, Brian.

Reply to
Brian