New Jetta rear disk backplate

I have a 99.5 New Jetta with 180K km. The rear disk backplate is completely rusted. I changed the disk and the pads. Will I need to dismantle the bearing to change the backplate?

Thanks for the help

Reply to
Gilles

While your are at it you might as well re-pack the bearings with grease. Every time I brake work is done in the rear is a good time.

Reply to
Peter Parker

The rear bearing are one time thing which means once you take them apart you must replace the hub/bearing assembly. Not a cheap thing to do just for the rusty backing plate.

Reply to
Woodchuck

You can no longer repack the bearings as in the A1, A2, A3? That sucks... I guess they made them enclosed like the front bearings...

Reply to
Peter Parker