seat belts sticking

I got another junkyard seat today for my 90 Fox and the seat belts are sticky (they don't operate smoothly) Is this something I can fix w/a shot of WD-40, or no? TIA Tom Seattle

Reply to
Frank Zappa

Try the WD-40, then post back. ;)

Frank Zappa wrote:

Reply to
Antony Hilliard

You can squirt WD40 on seat belts? would this not damage the fabric? as my drivers seat belt sticks loads too.

Reply to
Joe

Personally I would not trust my life or anyone who rides in my car to USED seatbelts!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Joe wrote in rec.autos.misc

If it is the release mechanism that is sticking, you should be able to squirt something into the mechanism without getting it on the fabric itself. I don't think I would use WD-40, as it is designed more to repel water than anything. I would use something like a molybdenum (sp?) lubricant. That would probably work better. Be sure to protect any fabric with clean papertowels or rags.

Reply to
Dick C

Having disposable seatbelts would be quite a waste ;-)

Reply to
Baudolino

Uh-huh. How old is your car? I think you have used seatbelts. Do you have a source for new seatbelts?

TIA Tom

Reply to
Frank Zappa

MY point is on used belts from the junkyard maybe exposed to the weather in which a way under normal ownership of the car they would never see. Most cars are in "the yard" because they were in an accident... so it's only a guess what excessive stresses they were subjected too. That is if they were worn. Also with doors and glass missing from the car I would be concerned how much rain, snow, etc go into the belt locking mechanisms.

Sorry to say the only place for new belts is at the dealer that I know of, but then again that would be for just about all vehicles. I just don't shortcut safety issues! My 99 Passat had NEW belts when it was made and well you could consider they are used now at least they didn't set out in a junkyard. On another note the majority of the newer VW's use 1 time(accident) seatbelts. The way they are designed is that when the airbags go off a explosive charge within the seatbelt pull you tight against the seat.

Reply to
Woodchuck