WARNING LIGHTS (PICTURES)

First of all, this question pertains to a 1999 Jetta V-6:

When I insert the key, and turn the ignition switch to position 2 (ignition on), all the warning light pictures on the display panel come on briefly, then go off. That is, all but 3: Check engine, Generator/battery, and EPC. Turning the key to position 3 (starter engages) the engine starts, and the key automatically returns to position 2. Now the only thing displaying on the panel is the check engine light.

My question is this: Does the display of the Generator/battery and EPC lights for those few seconds indicate a problem, or should I ignore this? If it is a problem, what is the solution (and $$$) that I can expect?

FYI: The check engine light has been on since May of 03 when an intermittent shorting of an ignition coil was noted in a read of the fault codes (for $25.00), in damp weather. Cost to replace: probably over $600. today, and now they ask over $100. for the dealer to just read the codes. And as far as I can find out, there is no recall on these '99 coils. (And to whoever said that the check engine light will clear if it is on long enough, I say "no way.")

Mike (just another Jetta owner)

Reply to
vwowner

AFAIK In the USA the '99 Jettas come with the VR6 and are different engines than the V6 engines. I am not sure if that engine takes the earlier coil pack or the later coil pack. The later one costs around $450 or so from the dealer = ain't cheap.

I have successfully repaired one off of a '01 GTi VR6 engine with a $5.00 tube of epoxy and some time. and looks like this one somewhat. ;-)

info here
have you replaced it already? ross-tech.com sells a scanner for our VWs that will let you expertly read the codes, clear the codes and do other things on your car such as diagnose problems. There are imitators that sell obsolete style copies on Ebay pretty cheap like for $25 or so. Then you can try out the ross-tech.com software free before you purchase it for $99. It does not limited functions though but it allows you to test your scanner with your car. Either should give you better results than going to an Autozone or other place that just pulls the codes with little other information. You might need a laptop or a tool that allows you to have a very long extension coming from your desktop. lol

BTW your description of how the lights come and go sound about right, except for the one that stays on! ;-)

JMHO later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

MIL been on since 2003, why worry now about anything! "intermittent", problems.... the clear if it is on long enough, I say "no way.")

Reply to
news.wildblue.net

Thanks Dave for the info. I'll pass it on to the "car person" in the family, thought I don't know if I want him fiddling with my VW. Of course, it would be a whole lot better than me fiddling. I was thinking that maybe a junk yard might be a good place to look for a coil --- if you could tell that you're getting what you need, and that it too wasn't shorted out. And you're right --- its a US (actually made in Mexico) 99 Jetta GLS VR6. Mike

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Reply to
vwowner

lol If you are taking it off your car to replace it with a USED one, you might as well just take it off, epoxy it and reinstall it. Save yourself maybe $50-250 (used prices?) or so, it is easy and almost free. ;-) BTW I would not really trust a junkyard one since it may only last just past the warranty period. :-(

read the list of some of the others with failed coil packs

dave AKA vwdoc1

It's normal to tell you that the lights themselves are working...except for the Check Engine light. That one staying illuminated means there's a fault detected.

I believe the coil recall was many 1.8T engines and 24V VR6 engines but not the 12V VR6 engines (your '99 would be a 12V VR6).

Yes and no. If the triggering problem comes and goes (like a random misfire, or a loose fuel cap that you reinstall correctly), it'll go out when the ECU is "satisfied" that enough time and start cycles has passed to indicate that the triggering event was random and isn't an ongoing problem.

If it's an ongoing problem, yeah it'll stay on until it's solved. It doesn't get "tired" of telling you there's a problem :)

Take the car to Autozone...I hear they read the codes for free. Start there, get the fault code, and then google the code to see what you can find out.

Reply to
Matt B.