weird and dangerous problem

I have a 97 vr6 golf with 120K miles. Lately it has been acting up in a way that scares me. When driven at night, occasionally the ABS and Brake dash lights will come on and the headlights will GO OUT simultaneously. After a few moments, they will come back on and the dash lights will go off. Does anyone have any idea of what might be going on here?

I haven't flushed the brake lines in a few years, could that be related?

Thanks,

Lanny Smith

Reply to
sandwich999

Its either the battery or alternator. I had the same problem with the OEM battery ...it had a bad plate in it that shorted. It made it look like the alternator tested bad Replaced under warrenty and it never happened again. (I'm at 110K miles) Paul

Reply to
Paul Meier-Wang

It might be the ignition switch. How many keys on your key ring? Try to limit it to one or two keys.

dave

I'll second the ignition switch. There's a extended warranty on that vintage passat's switches. I had to replace my passat's at around 90k miles. It most likely happens during the day but you don't notice it. Does your heater and radio go off for short intervals also?

Joe R

Reply to
Joe R

The thing is, if it were the ignition switch, wouldn't all the idiot lights come on instead of just those two? The heater and radio are not affected as well. And why would the head lights go out? I didn't think the headlights were in any way related to the brakes or the ignition switch.

thanks

Lanny

Reply to
sandwich999

If it was the ignition switch, I think the idiot lights would go out. My 84 rabbit needs a new ignition switch, and when the car shuts off because of it, everything has no power. Sounds like a bad ground somewhere, perhaps the alternator. Test the alternator and battery. Your FLAPS might offer this as a free service. Joe

Reply to
Joe Willia

Thanks to all who responded. It was the ignition switch.

Reply to
sandwich999