Power train advice

Greetings, Haven't been around awhile, been busy playing with my jeeps. I seem to be working my 1/2 ton pickup a bit hard lately; I'm looking to buy a 90-95 one-ton 4 x 4 pickup. Can buy earlier model if better. I prefer Automatic trans. Rarely trailer towing; mainly to haul wood/rock/etc. I am deciding between 350, 454, or diesel. What are pros and cons--power,reliability, mileage, etc. Also, any particular year to stay away from? Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Reply to
DB

if you need the one ton for it's extra capacity, cross the 350 off your list, it just doesn't have the grunt for ton truck stuff. that being said, I'd go for one with the 6.5TD/4l80E in it, the mileage on a 454 will kill you... one of the subs we frequently use at work has a ton dually with a tall work body on it w/ a 454.... the guy who drives it says it gets about 8-9 mpg (excavating contractor, hauling about

3000lbs in the back at all times). I don't have any direct experience with the 6.5TD, but other than the injection pump problem I've not heard much bad about them.

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks--you're confirming what I was thinking. Take care, Dan

Reply to
DB

On the 6.5 TD injection pump problems, I was reading that remotely mounting the PMD (pump mounted driver, also called fuel solenoid driver) clears up the problem. Anybody have experience with this modification? Also, does the pre-94 have the pump problem? Is it more reliable?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
DB

pre-'94 is a mechanical type pump and the electronics that are generally the problem on the later pumps are not present, therefore, not a problem.

Both pumps should see a minimum of 100,000 miles if cared for properly. Longer if well taken care of (good fuel, enough fuel, good lift pump, etc.).

Lots of torque and good mileage make the 6.5 TD a good choice if that is what you're after. Keep the engine cool and treat this diesel like a diesel and it will go far. Too many car drivers that go out and get one of these and drive down the road at 60 mph, pull in the driveway and shut it off without cooling down. Then they can't figure why the turbo is tanked - the exhaust is only 500 degrees when they shut it off that way?? Shouldn't they be able to abuse the snot out of it day after day?

is a good site to check out and the guys there really help.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

Thanks again, and the web site is much appreciated. I'm sold on the 6.5 TD.

Take care, Dan

Reply to
DB