525i or 330i?

Been thinking about a new Beamer for awhile now, but have to sell my bike to make it happen. Today I get an email from a dealer up north that I was
trying to get some pricing from and he said they will take my bike in as trade-in. I never realized a car dealer would take a bike in trade. Anyhow, if he doesn't get stupid on the pricing I may be getting a new car quicker than I thought. Problem is I still can't decide whether to get a 525i or 330i. A basic version 525i would be at about the limit of what I'm willing to spend.
Anyone else have to make this decision? If so, which did you chose and why?
Thanks, Jack
I would not want the base model of anything... better the 330 loaded , sunroof... do you have kids? need extra room? one is fast , one is not

I thought they both came with the sunroof as standard equipment this year?
My kids are grown, so I don't really need that much room or storage. However, we normally take a two week vacation every year and we like to drive, so comfort is very important. Also, I'm 5' 10" and weigh 240 so the extra seat room of the five would be nice. So long as the car has good power I'm not too concerned. I'm leaning more toward luxury and comfort these days. :-)

Sharkman540i wrote:

What's wrong with the base model?
Anoop
And 525 is not 'base'. There are smaller-engined 5s available, even if not in the US.
A 525 will still provide comfortable, 'fast' motoring.
What the heck are people talking about? A 525 can easily reach 100 mph, as can a 520. Won't a longer wheelbase be a more more comfortable long-distance cruiser, all other things being equal?
So maybe you get to 60 in 9 s instead of 8. Big deal.
A bigger car always gives more comfort, more space for one's ego and id... :-)
DAS
"anoop" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
What's wrong with his preference? This is his personal opinion.

I would much rather have a loaded 330, than a base 525. I meant it, I want the all the luxury of the model I am after, and the new 3 is very roomy compared to the old one, so less need for a 5. I have a 540, and would not want a 525, no balls, good on gas maybe, but I want something that can get and go fast, without redlining the piss out of it! And anoop, if I don't want a base model, is it not my choice?!

It depends on the country and the objectives of the buyer. A lot of the extras may have little or no resale value.
DAS
"Sharkman540i" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:BqqJe.191$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Yes. In the UK, a new basic model is likely to retain a better part of its purchase price (residual value) than a loaded one when sold or traded in. Once secondhand, though, the situation reverses. Those buying a say, five year old third owner car, want all the toys.
--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

when I buy a new car, I am thinking of the years I will use and enjoy, not so much what it will sell for when I am done... sorry Dori. if you buy based on your theory, you will drive a car with great resale, but won't enjoy while you have it??

Try reading my post properly. I.a.: "...it depends on the objectives of the buyer... "
DAS
"Sharkman540i" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ImwJe.641$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...
"very roomy compared to the old one...."
I don't think so...
go with the 5 series....it looks better and has is much more comfortable than the 3 series...new or not...

Sharkman540i wrote:

It certainly is your choice.
I asked for clarification because I wanted to know if the base model doesn't represent a good value or something.
I'm the other extreme. I prefer the base model since I want the car only for its handling. I'd rather be without the goodies. I wish they made even cheaper ones for the US market. For me, the 5 series isn't a choice...it's too big and too expensive.
Anoop
Jack Dotson wrote:

Go with the 3. And it's a Bimmer, by the way. Beamers are motorcycles. A 525i starts at $41,800, a 330i starts at $36,300. Buy a $5,000 worth of toys on your new 3.
The new 3 series are 3 inches wider than the old 3 series. Drive both. Buy the 3.
Tom Allen 2002 330xi 1996 328i 1995 325ic
As you can see I'm partial to 3's.

Thanks for the correction. I actually thought about that when I posted, but I couldn't remember and figured one of you guys would set me straight. :-)
I'm going to try and get to the dealer today if it doesn't rain and see if has a 3 in stock. Our dealer has several 5's, but can't seem to keep the 3's in stock.
Thanks

Jim
5 series sales are up 8% for the yearcompared to last year...discounts are hard to come by and you don't see one every three seconds on the road.....
3 series sales are down 10% for the year comapred to last year...the new threes have disappointing power and are cheap looking insude.... the early dsicounts are very telling....

Who needs the 5? I had the occasion to drive a few 3-series (even on a close-circuit!) and came up very impressed by the additional room in the new 3. Witht the new 18", it looks very good.