Diesel starting problem - update

Page 3 of 3

If you take the sender out of a petrol tank and supply it with 12V you can get quite noticeable sparks if you waggle the arm up and down. Doesn't matter a toss in a petrol tank as there's no appreciable amount of oxygen in there.
--
Skipweasel

Let me back up a few more steps before you demonstrate.
Eisboch

It's not a particularly big deal. Unless you suck the tank totally dry, the pump is totally immersed in fuel and it can't ignite anything because there's no oxygen. Even if you do expose the pump, gasoline is so volatile that the vapour space in a gas tank is almost guaranteed to be above the upper explosive limit.
The dangerous part is near the opening to gasoline containers where the vapour can mingle with air...in the fuel tank is pretty much a non-event.
Tom.
Dave wrote:

At what altitude?
Weatherlawyer wrote:

recommission them, ready for flight.
Having read other posts to my original one, I can see where I went wrong in assuming that there could be a huge explosion in a petrol tank now. The first thing that gets done to an aircraft, when it lands and taxies in, (and I had forgotten this) is it gets fully fuelled up. Thus reducing the fuel laden air in the tanks.
Many thanks to all
Dave

It's petrol vapour that is a real problem/danger not liquid petrol.
--
Mr X