Ticking

have the same thing happening to my Grnd Cherokee V6 2000 Laredo. It only happens when i'm going uphill in 5th gear. It sounds like a ticking noise. I took it to the dealership, they pulled the sparkplugs and said it was ok. They then said that it need a "decarboning". That was a bad answer, he didn't know i did that two weeks ago. It's not enough to have it record on the computer thing he test drove around with. He said it's not going to hurt the car, but it really makes me feel like not driving a little hard now.

I would say it's the same sound that happens if you're in 5th gear going up a hill in a car, when you really should be in 3rd. Like it doesn't have enough power. But these things are sopposed to be able to pull some heavy weight behind them!

any suggestions would help. Probably they didn't replace the spark plugs right, and the dealership is just trying not to repair anything. It was looked at in woodbridge, Hendricks Jeep. Everytime I go in there, they say there's a leak. Actually, they said there was a leak last time in my transfer case, and I made them fix it. They forgot that they fixed that a month ago as well! But is was almost a hassle to get them to do that!

snipped-for-privacy@gmu.edu~ ~

Reply to
Shahid Nasim

[...]

Have you tried using a higher octane gasoline to see if the ticking goes away? Knock sensor?

Bill Putney

There is a difference between a ticking and valve train noise. One could be lifters (ticking) the other your grade of gas. I recommend a can of BG4K I know it sounds hokie but the stuff really works in cleaning your entire fuel system.

I use it every 7500 miles now I 2 jeeps, 1 car, 1 motorcycle, and a ram 4x4 with over 100k and after using BG4K from BG Products they all drive like new.

HarryS

"Ticking" only under load (eg lugging up a hill in top gear) sounds like a small exhaust leak to me, not a lifter or "carbon" in the combustion chambers (a quack diagnosis for all small problems lately). Usually an exhaust leak that "ticks" is at the exhaust manifold to cylinder head junction. Its harmless unless you can start hearing it all the time.

Reply to
Steve