Speaking of sticker shock...

Its time to buy tires for the 94 Vette. Its not my daily driver so the stock tires were still on her (25,000 miles on OE Runflats) Still lots of tread but both rears lose air pressure (about 2 lbs a week) sure hope its not the rims . any who...Read good things about The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. so went to GY dealer and BAM!! 500$ each. I said no way I seen them on line for 240$ each . hes said *his* cost was over 350$ each.*We cant compete with wholesale...* lol I came home and bought 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires: at the TireRack.com 2 285/40YR-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 In Stock $207.00 $414.00

2 255/45YR-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Back Ordered $213.00 $426.00

Even if back ordered tires take 4-6 weeks and Im charged 150$ for mount/bal/etc Its all good !! The rears are in stock Btw I had them shipped right to the tire store They will call when they arrive

Reply to
RS

That's strange, I don't believe for one minute that Tire Rack could possibly sell them to you for less than your local store can buy them.... that's nuts... if it WERE true, your local tire store would be ordering from Tire Rack.

My experience (although with inexpensive tires) is that my local store can come close enough to the net price of ordering/shipping/installing/balancing via Tire Rack that it's hardly worth the wait.

Reply to
WayneC

WayneC wrote:

Hi all, Similar story as Wayne's. I've seen the local Goodyear store get real competitive on a set of garden variety passenger car tires for the family sedan or truck, usually within a limited range of popular tire sizes. Every time I priced premium passenger car tires or a pair of tires for the Pontiac, 911 or Corvette, they've quoted Goodyear's list price--period. I've tried, "will you match Discount's or 4-Day's price for the same Goodyear tire?" When I really whined, their best offer is for 12 months of free road hazard insurance. (Worth about $20 at my independent dealer.) I only bought road hazard insurance once--I think I was 19. So, this gimmick doesn't sweeten the deal. Once, the response was, "Goodyear retail stores can't sell 'seconds' or 'blems' to their retail customers." Another time it was, "...have you noticed that the tires from discount stores need more weight to balance than our tires?" Ho hum. Some years back my kids finished college and I got "instantly rich." Rather than wait in line at 4-Day or Discount Tire, I started buying from a local independent tire guy. His prices are within an rch of Discount Tire and, when all is said and done he's within 10-15 bucks of TireRack. Twenty four hours for most special orders. Out of the three dozen tires I've bought from him, one was bad and he pulled it from the balancing machine and sent it back to the jobber. Old tire went back on my 'vette and the replacement was there the following morning. Three percent isn't a large number but, that one tire would be a real headache. Another plus: if it's a tire he recommended, he'll exchange it for any other tire of my choice within 30 days of the sale--and, eat the cost of mounting and balancing. That factor alone was a great confidence builder in switching away from the EMTs. He was willing to give me full $$ credit and switch me to another non-runflat or EMT of my choice. His choice was excellent; so, I've got a nice quiet ride he has the money!

-- PJ '89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe

Reply to
PJ

Reply to